AMD Catalyst 10.6 For Linux Brings Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeoLinuX View Post
    And, more important, the graphical layer has nothing to do with X, so developing games for Linux or MacOSX is a different pair of shoes
    Yes, but except basic window management (read: set window to fullscreen) and some input handling you don't interact with X as game developer.
    And OpenGL is the same - everywhere

- Clemens

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post
      Soooo... why does ATI's download page still show 10.5 in two places, and 10.3 in the "name" column?

Until I see a "Source games don't randomly lock the desktop when run under Wine", I'm not even going to try re-installing my HD5870.
      I played Portal just fine this morning after installing 10.6, and I have a 5850 (currently running Ubuntu 10.04 and Wine 1.2-rc3 with Compiz disabled, since I can't be bothered re-enabling it each time after a reboot).

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Yes, this has been fixed with the newly introduced 2D acceleration architecture.
        Wow, that's excellent. Too bad the driver itself is broken now.

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
          Wow, that's excellent. Too bad the driver itself is broken now.
          Considering it's working for, well, everyone else, then it's likely your system. Just a thought there.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
            Considering it's working for, well, everyone else, then it's likely your system. Just a thought there.
            Except it's not working for everyone else. I know at least one person with the same problem.

Comment

Except it's not working for everyone else. I know at least one person with the same problem.
              and how incredibly descriptive "it's not working" is!
              you've not bothered to give many details. So I'm going to assume you're using LFS, with that latest kernel 2.6.35-git, running fluxbox, and attempting to manually install files around by hand.

If you've missed the sarcasm, I'll put it more simply: details, xorg log, dmesg output, kernel version, distro, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                and how incredibly descriptive "it's not working" is!
                you've not bothered to give many details. So I'm going to assume you're using LFS, with that latest kernel 2.6.35-git, running fluxbox, and attempting to manually install files around by hand.

If you've missed the sarcasm, I'll put it more simply: details, xorg log, dmesg output, kernel version, distro, etc.
                Xorg.0.log
                dmesg
                Kernel: Linux Martin 2.6.32-22-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 3 19:31:57 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                Distro: Ubuntu 10.04, x86_64, w/ latest updates
                Video device: Radeon HD 4870

I've installed 10.6 using Kano's script first, then tried "manually" by running --buildpkg and installing the debs. In both cases the result was the same. Catalyst 10.5 works fine though.

Comment

This release is great.
                  Prober indirect fullscreen rendering -> no flickering in games when changing the volume

Comment

Xorg.0.log
                    dmesg
                    Kernel: Linux Martin 2.6.32-22-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 3 19:31:57 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I've installed 10.6 using Kano's script first, then tried "manually" by running --buildpkg and installing the debs. In both cases the result was the same. Catalyst 10.5 works fine though.
                    Hmm....
                    Ok, well the only time I've seen something similar on my (Gentoo) system is when I had the old fgrlx module still loaded, or some older files not being replaced (my bad - I stuffed up the symlinks or something and now have to use ati's installer script directly, but do not do this!).
                    Kano's script should remove (rmmod) any current modules, but I still recommend uninstalling 10.5 completely, manually rmmod fglrx, then install the new ones. Just to make sure. No offence here Kano, just ruling out possibilities.

Comment

Xorg.0.log
                      dmesg

I had the same issue. You have to purge uninstall the old fglrx driver.
                      Then you have to completely remove /etc/ati and /usr/lib/fglrx

Now reinstall fglrx 10.6 and run sudo aticonfig --initial --force and all is good.

Comment

Working...
                      X