• Show
Clear All

• Thank you
    Test signature

Comment

• Just installed, now i get this error:

Code:
      (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fglrx
      (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:17:0) found
      (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:18:0) found
      (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:18:1) found
      (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:18:2) found
      (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:19:0) found
      (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:19:1) found
      (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:19:2) found
      (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:20:0) found
      (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:20:1) found
      (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:20:2) found
      (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:20:3) found
      (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:20:4) found
      (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:20:5) found
      (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@1:5:1) found
      (WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported
      (WW) fglrx(0): Option "VendorName" is not used
      (WW) fglrx(0): Option "ModelName" is not used

Comment

• Originally posted by bolzerrr View Post
        Just installed, now i get this error:
        Those are warnings, not errors. They all look completely harmless. Does it not work?

Comment

• No i only use xbmc on this system, and this is the message it is crushing

Comment

• Originally posted by bolzerrr View Post
            No i only use xbmc on this system, and this is the message it is crushing
            Would that be XBMC Live? Maybe you're video card is too new for the driver included in that distribution. It's had to say from those warnings.

Unfortunately I don't know how to easily upgrade fglrx (Catalyst) on XBMC Live, but if you have a harddrive in that machine I suggest installing a minimal Ubuntu 10.04 and using that as a basis for your XBMC HTPC.

Comment

• Those warnings do not suggest that anything is really wrong. Are you saying that X is not starting? If it's not starting, there should be some much more serious errors in your Xorg.0.log file.

Comment

• Originally posted by albatorsk View Post
                Would that be XBMC Live? Maybe you're video card is too new for the driver included in that distribution. It's had to say from those warnings.

Unfortunately I don't know how to easily upgrade fglrx (Catalyst) on XBMC Live, but if you have a harddrive in that machine I suggest installing a minimal Ubuntu 10.04 and using that as a basis for your XBMC HTPC.
                This is exactly what i use, minimal lucid (on an HD4200), and starting xbmc with xinit. Formerly i used 10.4 which was working fine..

I will look for further errors inside xorg.0.log

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  It would be correct to say that we have simply, and officially, told you that we have been treating support for new X and kernel versions as a lower priority than making improvements in core areas of the driver stack. We have also told you that we are gradually improving support for new X/kernel versions (ie shortening the delay) and that we expect those improvements to continue.
                  Bravo. ATI/AMD's progress in this area is real. It used to be so much worse!
                  If you're here, you accept the basic premise of a closed-source driver. Bridgman participates faithfully here. Why are people nitpicking things like how they time their releases (within reason) and how they choose to allocate their development staff?

This thread is pretty high signal-to-noise. There's a lot of positive discussion here, and genuine help for those experiencing problems. Let's keep it that way.

Comment

• i'm not sure if this might be any help to those who struggle to get their ati-cards to run on mainboards with nvidia nforce 430 chipsets, but it might point into the right direction:

after avoiding ati-cards for several years because of the bad linux support i have recently purchased a radeon hd 5570 since i heard that the driver-situation has improved quite a lot.
                    before that i used the onboard graphics of my ASRock ALiveNF7G-HDReady (nforce 630).
                    i did a fresh install (ubuntu 10.04 alternate) when the ati-card was added and i experienced the exactly same behaviour as described by other users (blank screen after the bootsplash).
                    i took several tries following different ideas of several forums (mostly ubuntuforums.org) but none really led to success.
                    finally i realized that there is no option in the bios to completely disable the nvidia onboard graphics, only the primary graphics adapter can be set (in my case to pci express of course), so the onboard graphics might still be active.
                    out of frustration i plugged in the analogue monitor plug of the onboard graphics and found to my surprise that while i get a blank screen using the digital output of the ati-card i get a fine desktop output on the analogue port of the onboard graphics.
                    so it seems that the onboard chipset still is seen as the primary grapics adaptor no matter what i chose in the bios settings.
                    i was able to then install the 10.6 ati driver (not as package) successfully and now finally run ubuntu 10.04 with my radeon hd 5000 series card after running the ati-config command for initial configuration (sorry, forgot the exact command, but came across here in this thread i think).
                    i still have the kernel bootoption 'nomodeset' active but don't know if this is needed.

maybe this helps,
                    greetings,
                    anti

Comment

• Hi,

anyone experienced video artifacts with 10.6 after quitting from a 3d game? I also have suspend issues. After resuming from suspend the XFCE desktop takes more than one minute to draw the icons on the screen. Had to revert to 10.4.

Bye
                      colossus73

Comment

Working...
                      X