Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: ati catalyst 10.6 released

Can you logically explain why 12 driver releases are needed? You can release 6 or 20 drivers too, just depending if there is a purpose for it. Just developing 3 drivers in parallel which each containing only minimal changes is a very stupid thing.

The main reason is that a lot of code is shared so we can leverage the testing cycles done for the Windows Catalyst drivers, which come out 12 times a year. If the Windows drivers were released 6 or 20 times a year then we would probably follow that cycle. If we didn't have a lot of cross-OS code in the drivers I would probably go for quarterly releases rather than monthly. That's where we are trying to go with the open source stack.

The "3 drivers in parallel every three months" thing is a rumour someone started a couple of years ago. We have never done anything like that.

We do overlap final QA on one major release with early development on another, but that kind of pipelining is pretty common practice.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Well, we've been criticizing AMD/ATI for ages now about this, but they've repeatedly told us that they simply don't give a **** about recent X and kernels. They only care about supported distros (and then only with their default settings and packages; tweakers should go screw themselves) not Linux in general.

So you can talk and talk all day long. They simply, and officially, don't care about this.
    this chances in 2010 new management.

new fokus is desktop and the 10-6 do have support for the .34 kernel and xorg1.8

but... there are bugs some cards work with xorg1.8 and somee cards not.

some cards work with the newest kernels ans some cards are not.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    The main reason is that a lot of code is shared so we can leverage the testing cycles done for the Windows Catalyst drivers, which come out 12 times a year. If the Windows drivers were released 6 or 20 times a year then we would probably follow that cycle. If we didn't have a lot of cross-OS code in the drivers I would probably go for quarterly releases rather than monthly. That's where we are trying to go with the open source stack.

The "3 drivers in parallel every three months" thing is a rumour someone started a couple of years ago. We have never done anything like that.

We do overlap final QA on one major release with early development on another, but that kind of pipelining is pretty common practice.
    "The "3 drivers in parallel every three months" thing is a rumour someone started a couple of years ago. We have never done anything like that. "

most of the time codechance are only in the alpfa(2 month in the future) driver and then beta they cut of not ready yet features and test again(1 month in the future) and then do WHQL (yes WHQL no this isn't a joke) for the linux driver means this: not get any chance for 30 days like an refrigerator means nothing only 'refrigerator' (yes there are exceptions) then release.

tell me a lier if you can ;-)

Sure, but that's basic pipelining - one release is frozen for QA while development proceeds on the next release. It's not "developing drivers in parallel" by any stretch.

I can call you a liar any time I want

Sure, but that's basic pipelining - one release is frozen for QA while development proceeds on the next release. It's not "developing drivers in parallel" by any stretch.
    yes
    but sometimes they do a parallel work for alpfa and beta one because of different feature set's
    the RC (1 month before release) don't get parallel love.

I can call you a liar any time I want
    Of course you can.

But the more interesting question is why you don't do it?

If you believe what you`re saying then you`re not a liar.

That doesn`t make it right though

If you believe what you`re saying then you`re not a liar.

That doesn`t make it right though
    i think i do not believe anything.

right or not thats not the Point the Point is the catalyst development strategic chance in 2010..

now they Focus on desktop and try to support xservers and kernels faster

the old FGLRX died in 2009

and i think the rumours about the catakyst-open-beta or preview drivers are true.

amd goes the right way thats the point.

Your troll goes to eleven.

I'm unable to get fglrx 10.6 working on my stock Ubuntu Lucid machine. I'm using Kano's script (without it I get tons of oopses and kernel panic). It still causes oops on kernel module load, something about amd pcs (unable to copy full backtrace now). What am I doing wrong? It seems to be very specific as nobody has had similar issue... Now I'm trying to downgrade kernel from 2.6.32 to 2.6.33.