Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst 10.6 bug in amdcccle?

Hi ATI-devs,

amdcccle messed up comma and decimal point in my modelines. It exchanged (for example)
    ModeLine "1280x1024" 107.0 1280 1360 1496 1712 1024 1025 1028 1059
    against
    ModeLine "1280x1024" 107,0 1280 1360 1496 1712 1024 1025 1028 1059

X complains: "Parse error on line 95 of section Modes in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    ModeLine Hdisplay expected"

long story:
    I installed 10.6 yesterday starting ati-driver-installer-10-6-x86.x86_64.run from a konsole with su. I use the same xorg.conf since many Catalyst versions, so I let the file untouched and rebooted the PC. Everything worked fine.

Then I connected a projector to the second DVI port of my HD3850. amdcccle told me to run it with su privileges to be able to change screen settings. (that will bring me to a second question, later)
    I run amdcccle as su and could activate the clone mode for both screens. I also wanted to change the resolution to 1280x720 to fit the projector but amdcccle told me that I have to reboot for this change. So I let the resolution at 1280x1024 because I just wanted to watch a DVD and go to bed.
    Today I switched on my PC and it booted to text mode instead of KDE login.
    My xsession-errors are here: http://pastebin.org/342355
    After changing all "," back to "." manually my X started.

Cheers,
    mibo

Opensuse 11.1 64 bit
    KDE 4.3.5
    HD3850 + 19"TFT@DVI

Comment

• Very nice improvements indeed !
      The 2D acceleration is very valuable.

Keep up the good work.
      jdif

Comment

• Googleearth seems to crash my system. Here's how to reproduce:

Bring up googleearth, turn on 3D buildings, go some place with 3D buildings, left-click on a building, boom hard lock.

Anyone else having this problem?

Comment

• Hello,

since Catalyst 10.5 I have encountered major 3D Performance regressions on my HD 4850 card. Enemy Territory Quake Wars fps dropped by over 30 % and suffers from micro stutters.

Other OpenGL Apps like Google Sketchup, Google Earth ... show a similar behavior.

2D got only faster in terms of resizing with composite on but slows down 3D performance, which didn't occure with XAA and backclear patch. Another point is that big vector graphics render very slow.

Image quality is still crappy. Tearing, no settings for video and pc levels or color space.

Multimonitoring crashes the xserver on startup, when a Sony VPL-HW10 projector is connected via DVI->HDMI cable.

Comment

• SpringRTS BA textures still broken since 10.5

I'm happy to see, that AMD is doing something about 2D.
            Unfortunately I can't take advantage of this, because I want to run SpringRTS Balanced Annihilation (http://springrts.com/wiki/Balanced_Annihilation). Up to 10.4 this worked very well, but with 10.5 and 10.6 there is a bug which (re)moves all textures. This is discussed in the SpringRTS forums: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=23149

Someone suggested this has to do with lack of compression support for certain textures.

Dear AMD devs, please comment on this: do you see a work around for now, and do you intend to fix this regression? (I did work before...)

Thanx for your work,
            Daniel

Comment

• It doesn't work for me. I've been trying since 9.8, but it just wont work. It installs fine, but when I reboot the pc it hangs on the "Ubuntu" pink screen, and nothing happens.

I dont know whats happening, really, lost all the faith.

My pc is running with a Radeon 4890 from powercolor, motherboard is an Asus M2NPV-VM, 2Gb of Ram, AMD X2 4200.

Comment

• dansan, is there any more detailed info available ? All I found in the thread was "I googled that the problem is that the graphics driver does not support texture compression used by old models.".

I'm not aware of us dropping any old extensions but the 10.5 and higher drivers merged in GL3.3 and GL4 support so it's possible that something required for a new GL extension is subtly altering the behavior of an existing extension, not sure.

I tried following all of the abbreviations but the people posting in the thread are obviously much more familiar with all the games and variants than I am
                Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by giulio View Post
                  It doesn't work for me. I've been trying since 9.8, but it just wont work. It installs fine, but when I reboot the pc it hangs on the "Ubuntu" pink screen, and nothing happens.

My pc is running with a Radeon 4890 from powercolor, motherboard is an Asus M2NPV-VM, 2Gb of Ram, AMD X2 4200.
                  Can't help without log files. Post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/dmesg files. I'm sure with that information we can help figure out what is going on.

Comment

• Originally posted by giulio View Post
                    It doesn't work for me. I've been trying since 9.8, but it just wont work. It installs fine, but when I reboot the pc it hangs on the "Ubuntu" pink screen, and nothing happens.

Welcome to nforce430 chipset owner club There like 2 possible fixes.
                    1. Buy motherboard with another chipset even newer nforce chipsets work well, driver only don't work with nforce430 (great job amd )
                    2. Use windows and latest cat drivers.
                    Pray that amd will fix it in 10.7

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
                      HON do have the same problem but the problem isn't in the OpenGL stack,,,

its in the cataylst A.I. stack turn of A.I. in your CCC and you have full speed again!
                      Turning off A.I. doesn't change anything.

Comment

Working...
                      X