No announcement yet.

ati catalyst 10.6 released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure, but that's basic pipelining - one release is frozen for QA while development proceeds on the next release. It's not "developing drivers in parallel" by any stretch.

I can call you a liar any time I want
    Test signature

Comment

• If you believe what you`re saying then you`re not a liar.

That doesn`t make it right though
      Test signature

Comment

• Your troll goes to eleven.

Comment

• I'm unable to get fglrx 10.6 working on my stock Ubuntu Lucid machine. I'm using Kano's script (without it I get tons of oopses and kernel panic). It still causes oops on kernel module load, something about amd pcs (unable to copy full backtrace now). What am I doing wrong? It seems to be very specific as nobody has had similar issue... Now I'm trying to downgrade kernel from 2.6.32 to 2.6.33.

Comment

• Of course I meant to downgrade to 2.6.31 (loving this time-to-edit limit... Just wondering how many times it needs to be repeated to fix this *BUG*)

Comment

• Guess what? Downgrading helped. This driver now supports 2.6.31, 2.6.34, 2.6.35... Wait, where is 2.6.32?

The second possibility - Ubuntu patched 2.6.32 to make it better -> break it with binary blob.

Yes, I won't stop complaining about this mess until FOSS r600 driver *works* (not only for basic examples); up-to-date r600g would satisfy me for now

Comment

• Originally posted by Wielkie G View Post
                I'm unable to get fglrx 10.6 working on my stock Ubuntu Lucid machine. I'm using Kano's script (without it I get tons of oopses and kernel panic). It still causes oops on kernel module load, something about amd pcs (unable to copy full backtrace now). What am I doing wrong? It seems to be very specific as nobody has had similar issue... Now I'm trying to downgrade kernel from 2.6.32 to 2.6.33.
                I had problems installing the fglrx_8.741 package from Ubuntu-X PPA when running 2.6.34 kernel. Downgraded for now since 10.6 doesn't help any of my issues, but I suspect that there's something wrong with the 2.6.34 patch in build 2 of sarvatt's package.

For interested parties:

Comment

• Just wanted to add my thoughts to this thread since i have the excellent 4850 card .

The 10.6 drivers at least to me are a significant change as far as 2d is concerned .

I had an nvidia card for 3 years and hated compiz performance on it and likewise with the ATI which i have had for some 6 months now. Of course, even without compiz they were quite bad(ATI)

But in 4 years of using ubuntu, first time i have kept compiz on for more than a week with ATI !!

I highly recommend it to users of newer ATI cards .

Strangely i never had video tearing issues with either cards ever , wonder why is that.

Right now the only issue i see is that the window borders have a distinct tear when using compiz effects .Started with the newer themes in ubuntu i would say.

Also, i never care about GPU video decoding, i can play big buck bunny on a laptop core 2 duo without issues and i want my CPU to be at 100 % always, i paid lot of money for it .

My GPU's are anyway busy with games and they dont last as long as a CPU anyway, so screw GPU decoding .Core 2 duos and athlon x3 does fine with videos.

Comment

• bbb is definitely no reference. that's low bitrate just like all youtube hd videos.

Comment

• Its a bit strange how a CPU can play 1080p video without stutter , is it because its running at a lower resolution ?

I think its independent of that am i correct ? I think video decode was moved on to the GPU many years before since CPU's werent that efficient at it and with single cores .

I have a bunch of core 2 duo laptops here with crappy Intel graphics and they seem to all play the bunny video fine. Maybe animations take less rendering effort ?

Comment

Working...
                      X