AM2+ motherboard suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AM2+ motherboard suggestion

Hi all. I'm looking for a motherboard to replace my M2N32-SLI Deluxe. Since I just upgraded my CPU and RAM (AM2+ CPU and DDR2 ram) I would like to get an AM2+ motherboard (so I can keep everything else). But I don't want to buy something that is already old. So the question is: is there a motherboard that supports AM2+ processors and AM3 six-core processors, 2 PCIe x16 graphics cards, and SATA 6.0 Gb/s (ideally with the 850 amd southbridge)?
    Thanks

All of the chipsets that support SATA 6.0 have DDR3 so you won't be able to get that unless you use a SATA 6.0 controller card.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      All of the chipsets that support SATA 6.0 have DDR3 so you won't be able to get that unless you use a SATA 6.0 controller card.
      Thanks for your answer. That's a shame. I've read not-so-good reviews of controller cards (bottlenecks, incompatibility...). So I guess my only option is to buy an AM3 board and change CPU and RAM? If it is so, I think I'll wait at least two years.

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
        Thanks for your answer. That's a shame. I've read not-so-good reviews of controller cards (bottlenecks, incompatibility...). So I guess my only option is to buy an AM3 board and change CPU and RAM? If it is so, I think I'll wait at least two years.
        Most drives available today don't even bottleneck on a Sata 2.0 port (300MB/s) with the exception of a few very high end SSD's. Are you sure you really need that?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Most drives available today don't even bottleneck on a Sata 2.0 port (300MB/s) with the exception of a few very high end SSD's. Are you sure you really need that?
          Well, the idea was to buy the new Intel SATA III SSDs once they came out this autumn to replace my old 300 gb drives and speed up the system a bit. Oh, well, I'll wait

Comment

well, I have a A770CrossFire from Asrock.
            There are faster boards
            There are boards with more features.
            But this one has two advantages:
            - cheap
            - it fucking works.

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
              Hi all. I'm looking for a motherboard to replace my M2N32-SLI Deluxe. Since I just upgraded my CPU and RAM (AM2+ CPU and DDR2 ram) I would like to get an AM2+ motherboard (so I can keep everything else). But I don't want to buy something that is already old. So the question is: is there a motherboard that supports AM2+ processors and AM3 six-core processors, 2 PCIe x16 graphics cards, and SATA 6.0 Gb/s (ideally with the 850 amd southbridge)?
              Thanks
              When you say, "so I can keep everything else", what are you referring to specifically?

If you've got an AM2+ CPU such as a Phenom X6 (I've got a 1055T in my 785G DDR2 mobo), it should also work in an AM3 socket. I understand that you'd have to get new memory, but if your CPU is AM3 compatible, the only thing that wouldn't carry over to an AM3 board is the memory. Everything else that I can think of would transfer over. Unless your CPU is actually an AM2-only CPU, which is a different story, but since you said you just upgraded the CPU, I'm thinking that's not the case.

Comment

the X6 are am3. They only work in am2+ an am3 boards.

Comment

Very true. I mis-spoke before, and then the edit timeout happened and I didn't get around to correcting myself.

The Phenom X6, like all other Phenoms that I'm aware of (and Athlon IIs), is an AM3 chip with AM2+ compatibility. Most (possibly all) are compatible with AM2+, but I thought I had heard rumor of some chips with only AM3 compatibility because of bad DDR2 memory controllers... I could be wrong though. I don't keep up with the processor spec sheets nearly as well as I used to.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                    Very true. I mis-spoke before, and then the edit timeout happened and I didn't get around to correcting myself.

The Phenom X6, like all other Phenoms that I'm aware of (and Athlon IIs), is an AM3 chip with AM2+ compatibility. Most (possibly all) are compatible with AM2+, but I thought I had heard rumor of some chips with only AM3 compatibility because of bad DDR2 memory controllers... I could be wrong though. I don't keep up with the processor spec sheets nearly as well as I used to.
                    I think you may be confusing the early AM2+ only Phenom II's such as the 945 which only had the DDR2 memory controller enabled.

Comment

Working...
                    X