OpenCL 1.1 Specification Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I haven't actually seen any shader-assisted H.264 decode implementations in public yet, have you ?
    There is also a shader based implementation for the Xbox 360's Xenos gpu.

Comment

Bridgman, I think that would make a lot of sense. If AMD opened up the shader code for R600 (feel free to remove post-processing), it would be another big sweep of good FOSS PR.

Surely it would also be rather fast for a qualified dev to remove any secret post-processing; sure, there's bound to be a legal review after that, but for shader code it should be lighter than for actual specs.
      Much faster than writing one from ground-up, to be sure

Could you tell whether it's in a standard spec (GLSL, OpenCL...) or in something ATI-specific? Even if it only ran on R600+ gpus, it would make a great headline, wink wink.

Comment

The shader code is *only* post processing AFAIK, I don't think we decode on shaders in the proprietary stack today - it's either CPU (r600) or UVD (everything else).

My recollection is that the code starts in a high level shader language (probably HLSL) but then is hand-tweeked in some places.
        Test signature

Comment

Oh, ok. I misunderstood that as having the UVD interfaces be implemented in shaders for that card.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure myself. All the interesting questions seem to come up on the weekends when I can't wander over and pick brains
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Yeah, like that...

... although I have more hair.
              Yeah like this much, right?:

Comment

That's more like it.
                Test signature

Comment

Working...
                X