Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Pushes Out Its 2.12 X.Org Driver To RC State

Phoronix: Intel Pushes Out Its 2.12 X.Org Driver To RC State

Intel has rolled out their first release candidate for their forthcoming xf86-video-intel 2.12 DDX driver update. The Intel 2.12 X.Org driver, as we have already mentioned twice brings faster 2D performance, among other changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like we will finally see decent performance with the new GEM/KMS graphics stack!

Comment

WoW!

This release is awesome!

Beside fixing non-center-sampling (ugly artifacts in firefox, java, ...) this release really improves performance.
      Running some benchmarks to measure the performance of a graphic library I wrote show runtime-reductions of about 20-40%

Took so long to get decent performance with GEM/KMS, great its finally here :-)

Comment

Not stable for me

Although I must admit the performance improvement was noticeable at first glance

Let's hope for a stability improvment too

Regards

Comment

Nice work Intel.

Comment

The most impressive part isn't even mentioned here in the forum. The driver ist for xfree96 according to the article

Comment

Quoting myself:

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              Intel driver is a bad joke, what performance improvements they are talking about when some basic functionality causes X server hangs, when OpenGL performance is ... the word "performance" doesn't apply well to Linux Intel GPPU drivers.

Comment

Intel's driver is a bad joke alright. Just yesterday I was trying to get it to work. It would hang X anytime we started doing something serious with OpenGL. The closest example I could find was something saying downgrade to Mesa 7.5. Which really isn't a solution at this point. I tried upgrading from 2.9 to 2.11, but it made no difference. Ended up using a different computer with a Nvidia card, worked the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  Intel driver is a bad joke, what performance improvements they are talking about when some basic functionality causes X server hangs, when OpenGL performance is ... the word "performance" doesn't apply well to Linux Intel GPPU drivers.
                  Well, I haven't experienced stability problems for quite some time now, although right after UXA-switch/KMS was horrible. 2.6/2.7/2.8 were totally broken - 2.9 was the first which worked quite reliable.
                  2.12 is the first release which brings 2D performance to a level where it should have been for quite some time now.

Hmm, yes Intel's OpenGL support is horrible, but its enough to run opengl based composition managers. And frankly, if you care about OpenGL performance, don't tell me nobody warned you about intel

- Clemens

Comment

For the past two months I have been experiencing daily freezes. Downgrading did not change anything. It is a real nightmare.

Comment

Working...
                    X