Ubuntu 10.4 (Lucid) KMS with AMD 890 chipset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 10.4 (Lucid) KMS with AMD 890 chipset

Question: Is the built-in AMD 890GX (Radeon HD 4290) graphics chip of motherboards such as the MSI 890GXM-G65 compatible with kernel modesetting (KMS), particularly with the kernel and Xorg drives shipped with Ubuntu 10.4 LTS? I'm particularly concerned with its support for fast-user switching (switching between multiple X users). Replies from actual owners/users appreciated.

Background: My 5-years+ Socket 754 motherboard is on its last legs, so I'm looking for a motherboard with built-in graphics that works with KMS. Under Ubuntu Lucid Lynx, KMS works fine with my AGP-equipped motherboard (running a cheap, R300-compatible Radeon discrete graphics card). I don't have the budget for a separate graphics card, so I'm looking to buy one with built-in graphics. Re-using the old card is obviously not a option (unless someone has figured out a way to fit an AGP card onto a PCI-E slot).

can't say in particular, but KMS works fine on HD4300 (SB790GX) so I think it'll work on your chipset too

Comment

Working...
    X