Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some evidence on OpenSolaris 10.H1 not dead

Hi guys,

Besides the drafts and the near end of blocking bugs, I believe that Oracle is not going to kill OpenSolaris after all...

Yesterday, I received an e-mail from Oracle about Oracle (ex. Sun) Studio and Oracle Studio Express customer feedback program. In the e-mail, there is this text:

Code:
    We invite you to participate in our Customer Feedback Program with the Oracle Solaris Studio Express 6/10 release.

Note: Oracle Solaris Studio and Oracle Solaris Studio Express are the new product names for Sun Studio and Sun Studio Express respectively. 			

By participating in this program you will have the opportunity to evaluate new capabilities of Oracle Solaris Studio software, provide your feedback to the product team and influence future product releases.

Participation in the Customer Feedback Program is simple

* Try out Oracle Solaris Studio Express 6/10.
        * Visit the Customer Feedback Forum to discuss issues and receive advice from the Oracle Solaris Studio community, including Oracle Solaris Studio engineers.
        * To submit a bug or request a feature (RFE), please visit: [url]http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/[/url].
        * Complete and submit the Customer Feedback Program Survey to provide your feedback directly to the product team.

What's new in Oracle Solaris Studio Express 6/10?

Oracle Solaris Studio Express 6/10 is supported on Solaris 10 (SPARC, x86), OEL 5 (x86), RHEL 5 (x86), SuSE 11 (x86) today and will be made available for OpenSolaris in the near future. New feature highlights since the last release include:

* C/C++/Fortran compiler optimizations for the latest UltraSPARC and SPARC64-based architectures such as UltraSPARC T2 and SPARC64 VII
        * C/C++/Fortran compiler optimizations for the latest x86 architectures including Intel Xeon 7500 processor series (Nehalem-EX) and Intel Xeon 5600 processor series (Westmere-EP) 
        * Enhanced debugging and code coverage tooling
        * Improved application profiling with the Performance Analyzer
        * Updated IDE based on NetBeans 6.8

Check out the readme pages to learn more about the latest features:
    [url]http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/downloads/ssx/express_June2010.html[/url]

Sincerely,
    The Oracle Solaris Studio team
    Notice the part that says that "Oracle Solaris Studio Express 6/10 is supported on Solaris 10 (SPARC, x86), OEL 5 (x86), RHEL 5 (x86), SuSE 11 (x86) today and will be made available for OpenSolaris in the near future."

I take this as good news.

Cheers,

Personally I never took seriously all that FUD around OpenSolaris being dead. It's too good an OS to simply leave it! What I wish is Oracle to be more open-minded about their open-source projects.
    Nevertheless I'll try new Oracle Solaris Studio on Vanilla Solaris 10.

Comment

I guess we'll see.. Oracle's intentions and goals with it aren't at all clear. They've never had any interest in running any open source projects properly before, why should they now?

From what I hear the OpenOffice community is being shafted too, which is an even bigger shame.

Comment

I just fear what they might do with MySQL... comparing the installation process between MySQL and Oracle, they're like night and day.

If they kill MySQL or screw it up with their legacy-ridden Oracle installer I'll be freakin ripped.

Comment

Needs a little more actual evidence to make me even consider switching back. Oracle's hush hush approach is the wrong way for an open source project.

Comment

Probably the whole reason Sun opened Java and Solaris up in the first place was countermeasures to being bought out by a company which would lock everything down or pollute their binaries over time by not updating their libraries or coding practices. Oracle definitely fits that MO.

Comment

OpenSolaris and Solaris are different. Solaris is being invested heavily. Solaris 11 is based on the source code of OpenSolaris.

Comment

Did you notice the new OpenSolaris page on oracle.com? Here it is:

It's in test mode with no content yet, but the thing happened. Note, it is called "Oracle OpenSolaris" there.

Comment

Originally posted by gleb_sitnikov View Post
                  Did you notice the new OpenSolaris page on oracle.com? Here it is:

It's in test mode with no content yet, but the thing happened. Note, it is called "Oracle OpenSolaris" there.
                  Cool, no I didnt notice it. Thanx for posting it!

Comment

Working...
                  X