Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the TOC and banner are in colour, but the dynamic stuff (news articles etc) all have a white background?

Comment

Originally posted by ProTech View Post
      Please make it 1024x768 friendly. I have to scroll all the time

The design looks crowded. It's hard to find any information on it. Sometimes less is more.
      Yeah, I have the same problem. Would it not be possible to either make the left border a little smaller (It looks rather big over here) or to let the text-part adjust it's size automatically? The fixed width IMO is not this good if it does not work Out of the Box on at least a width of 1024. Personally I would prefer to have the menu on the left smaller. It should not be such a big problem if a little of the topics titles for the news/articles/whatever are lost. Currently I am running my browser (Firefox) in windowed mode with a width of ~1000px. So in general I would prefer the site to be perfectly cieable with an "in-windows-size" of 950px (you always have to substract borders and all the stuff...). The best thing might even be some variable size. The "linklist" on the left size gets a fixed size, the rest gets "what is available". The banner on top is stratched to match the width. That something like this can work nicely you can see at the wesnoth homepage.

A different thing:
      Since you did add Links to the single subforums, why is there non left to the main forum? Not everything does fit into the subforums. Would it be possible to make the topic be a Link to the forum itself?

EDIT: Hmmm, I did not notice there was the "normal" link in the top-row. I still would welcome to have the topics each be a link, too.
      Last edited by ivanovic; 20 April 2007, 05:00 AM.

Comment

i think we need to start some serious stylish (ff extension) hacking to alter the site

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. David has made a list of the various items and we have discussed them so there should be some changes within a few hours.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I have a good question for everyone. Does anyone actually like the stuff in the left nav? (Recent Articles, Recent Linux News, Recent Solaris News etc etc). Which ones could we do without?

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
              I have a good question for everyone. Does anyone actually like the stuff in the left nav? (Recent Articles, Recent Linux News, Recent Solaris News etc etc). Which ones could we do without?
              I like the concept, but there's just so much content that it clutters the look of the site to my eye, especially since they show on every page. That left hand position is valuable real-estate for simpler high level nav items.

L

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                In general I like having such a bar. Here is a short list of topics I really would like to see in there:
                Recent Articles
                Recent Linux News
                Featured Articles
                Phoronix Forums
                Topics from the Blog

Stuff I don't think is needed there:
                Reviews From Around The Web

The part about Solaris: It is okay though not a must have for me. The screenshots: No idea if they do need an entry in there though it can also be nice to have.

So my vote: Yes, I like to have such a bar, though I would welcome to have it by far more "slim". About 60% of the current size would IMO be better, even if some "topics" would not be completely shown but aborted by '...'.

Comment

Since it looks like the forums does not want to accept my edit, here my changes in a new reply:
                  There was just an update to decrease the width of the left bar, it is a lot better now. Reducing it a little bit further might be good, though it can stay this way, too. I would welcome having topics up to the size of the one entitled "An Outcry For Improved ATI Linux Drivers" completely shown and afterwards stuff cut off. That is just a little less than what currently is used, maybe 20 to 30px.
                  Still the page itself is too wide due to the image http://www.phoronix.com/phxcms-css/header.jpg having a width of 1080px. It might be better to reduce the horizontal size of the banner a little to maybe 1000px. I did create a screenshot of the current layout at my sys (link), as you see, the banner gets cut of right after the "contact" link. That is where I would prefer having the banner itself cut, too. If it had a size of 1000px horizontally users with 1024x768 would have no probs with the page as long as they are using fullscreen.
                  Regarding the number of links in each category: I would vote for a little more than just 4. Maybe 6?

Edit: This command should do the resize without any probs if you got imagemagick available: 'convert -resize 1000x90 header.jpg header_new.jpg' The vertical value (currently 90px) will be adjusted as needed to keep the aspect ratio. Eg it will be scaled to 83px when the horizontal value is 1000px.
                  Last edited by ivanovic; 20 April 2007, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Ch-Ch-Changes. To sum them up:

- The "bar" is much slimmer now and with that the Google Ad there has decreased in size. The bar has also moved down a bit so running along the top now are four (instead of three) latest articles with quotes.

- Reviews From Around The Web is only displayed in the bar when viewing the home page.

- Recent Solaris News will NOT be displayed when viewing an article or review. On other pages it will be in the bar but not when viewing an actual article.

- Editor's Blog has been removed from the bar to save room.

- The middle horizontal navigation underneath the header has been reordered.

I think that about sums up the major changes -- there were a few other small tweaks. We will still be making more changes so if there is anything else you would like to see that hasn't been mentioned, be sure to share it with us. Thanks.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
                      - The middle horizontal navigation underneath the header has been reordered.
                      Hmmm, I would welcome to see the link to the redblog in the topbar removed in favor for a link to the Editor's Blog. And IMO it is sad to loose the Editor's Blog in the linklist on the left side.
                      Overall: Looks okay so far (beside the top banner width ).

Comment

Working...
                      X