Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Linux Drivers Rubbish & Is Linux Ready For Steam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Linux Drivers Rubbish & Is Linux Ready For Steam?

Phoronix: Are Linux Drivers Rubbish & Is Linux Ready For Steam?

If you are looking for some lively forum threads to end out your weekend or some reading material as you enter the office on Monday, there's two particularly active forum threads this weekend. One thread begs that Linux is not ready for Steam (not the other way around) and the second thread is making claims that Linux drivers are rubbish...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by darkphoenix22 View Post
    I think Valve should wait a year before porting Steam. The multimedia and audio frameworks and APIs on Linux are currently a mess. The APIs and frameworks need to be stablized before any sort of large scale professional game development can begin on Linux.

If Value ports Steam to Linux in its current state, I'm afraid it will become unprofitable and they'll quickly abandon it. If that happened, there would be virtually no professional Linux games for years.

Linux needs to be ready before we fall under the spotlight.
    In the words of a great man:

Originally posted by Donald Rumsfield
    As you know, you go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time.

Comment

Canonical needs to remove applications that use non-PulseAudio/libCanberra/OpenAL subsystems from the software center to remove the ambiguity for developers. My audio works fine.

Comment

Not finnished != rubbish

Just sayin'...

Comment

Article sounds a little harsh to me

Comment

Typical inflammatory headlines meant to drive views. I think this is about the last time I will come here.

Anyone making the argument that Linux needs to be "perfect" when used with all hardware has never played games under Windows.

Comment

And FTR: I own 25 Steam games, and 24 of them work fine under Wine. The idea that native implementations would fair worse is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post
                Typical inflammatory headlines meant to drive views. I think this is about the last time I will come here.
                I think it is more like "Hey we don't have an article for you to read on the beginning of an office day, but here's an interesting-, heated-, flame/troll-ready thread in which you can get your game on" xD

But then again sad indeed. I'd rather a few realy good quality articles than quantity articles...

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post

Anyone making the argument that Linux needs to be "perfect" when used with all hardware has never played games under Windows.
                  Yeah! Windows is the biggest mess in the computer science world, for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
                    Canonical needs to remove applications that use non-PulseAudio/libCanberra/OpenAL subsystems from the software center to remove the ambiguity for developers. My audio works fine.
                    I hope they will rather remove Pulse Audio applications, because afaik it slows games down.

@3vi1

Well said. Since some time Phoronix is posting FUD mainly. At first they were claiming Steam is coming to Linux and now, they stab Linux in the back asking if it's ready for Steam.

Comment

Working...
                    X