Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux on Bicycle (recommend me a notebook)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
    Wow, the TimelineX modells seem to be almost impossible to find on us-online-shops. Here's a german price-comparison-service that lists the modells I was referring to: http://geizhals.at/eu/a519806.html
    Too expensive for my purpose.

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    It is REALLY difficult to get what you really want in very small form factors. You almost always have to compromise on something.

One of the major weaknesses of the AMD lineup is that they really don't have much in the way of super-low-power parts, you know, the ones that make sense for things like netbooks and the smallest of laptops, which means that if you want something fairly small, you're either stuck with intel parts, or you possibly have the option of having virtually zero battery life. Either way, being weak/crap in the GPU area is *almost* a given. My experience in hunting down mobile devices is that you either severely compromise on something <=13" or end up with something fairly large.
    Not too concerned about power consumption. I'd like 5ish hours on power-save settings, but I really just need a lite mobile workstation.

I found something! Maybe. The dm3z customizable laptop by HP is actually fitting my bill.

AMD Turion II Neo Dual-Core K625 (1.5GHz, 2M L2 cache)
    512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5430
    4GB DDR3 System Memory
    320GB 7200RPM SATA
    13.3" diagonal High-Definition LED

for $700. It's technically exactly what I'm looking for, but the customer care package is a bit pricey and the return policy without it is only 21 days.

I know I didn't buy the extended warranty on my last laptop and it is lasting me 5 years (an Acer no less), but I'm not sure how planned obsolescence is playing out these days, especially with HP. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by spinsane View Post
      Too expensive for my purpose.
      Well, I linked the most expensive modell. There's also one with a ATi 5470 which is quite a bit cheaper. And don't make the mistake to translate between ? and $ with the official rates, I'm pretty sure an american modell will cost <= the same amount in $ as the european modells in ?.

Comment

Originally posted by spinsane View Post
        I know I didn't buy the extended warranty on my last laptop and it is lasting me 5 years (an Acer no less), but I'm not sure how planned obsolescence is playing out these days, especially with HP. Any thoughts?
        I read a survey recently where HP were rated very low for laptop reliability; however, given the vast array of laptops they produce it's hard to tell whether that's due to poor quality overall or because the cheap models break more often than expensive models from other manufacturers and the expensive ones are no less reliable than Toshiba and the like. Certainly I haven't had any problems with their business laptops in the past.

That said, it's one of the reasons why I went for Toshiba rather than HP when I bought a new laptop recently.

Comment

Working...
        X