Drivers for linux are rubbish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by albatorsk View Post
    What we ask for is decent, functional 3D.
    Since long time (years) fglrx has good 3d performance. If you are looking for wine performance and compatibility this is another thing.

I am curious, what application do you use that need d2d so much?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      What we are recommending today is the use of an X server with the backclear patch applied.
      This is something that interests me...I keep hearing about backclear but can't seem to figure out what it is/does.

Can you explain?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
        Since long time (years) fglrx has good 3d performance. If you are looking for wine performance and compatibility this is another thing.

Actually since fglrx 10.5, it has pretty good performance / stability in wine.

Comment

What we ask for is decent, functional 3D.
          This works.

Sure. And maybe one day my HD4780 it will work just as well in Wine as a Geforce 9500.
          Ah. Windows emulator.

Here's a thought -- why don't you try running a LINUX program on your LINUX drivers?

And since they are OpenGL drivers, try an OpenGL application.

When THAT does not work, then complain.

Your problem is not that you're running the wrong driver, you're running the wrong operating system

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
            Wine was developed primarily upon nvidia cards, with nvidia drivers, and working around nvidia driver bugs. Historically this was due to nvidia being the only ones at the time with proper drivers - AMD has them now, and the wine devs can develop on those too. It's not just fglrx improving - it's wine improving as well.
            I agree completely.

But again it's also another case of - if wine is that important, why not just use windows and be done with it? Other areas should be considered too.
            Because I'm too lazy to reboot every time I want to run a Windows application/game. The fact is, a lot of games works in Wine now days. All of the ones I'm playing, at least. Unfortunately, they all ran a lot better on my 8800 GT than they do on my HD4870 which was something I did not expect.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              Ah. Windows emulator.

Here's a thought -- why don't you try running a LINUX program on your LINUX drivers?

And since they are OpenGL drivers, try an OpenGL application.

When THAT does not work, then complain.

Your problem is not that you're running the wrong driver, you're running the wrong operating system
              Ah, the old "I don't think you should run this because, well, just because"-argument.

See my explanation in the post above this.

Comment

I can understand casual gamers that use wine, but for a "gamer" (plp who loves to try latest games) i cannot imagine why they use wine.

Anyway, the common error is to use wine incompatibilities (before wine 1.2 and fglrx 10.5 XD) with ati to blame ati opengl 3d performance. This is just ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                  It used to be emulators, most commonly UAE.

But also simple things like being able to scroll in GNOME Terminal without lag. That I really miss since my nVidia days.

Comment

Originally posted by albatorsk View Post
                    Ah, the old "I don't think you should run this because, well, just because"-argument.

See my explanation in the post above this.
                    No, it just means that you're barking up the wrong tree.

You should complain to the WINE people.

The argument that a linux driver is not good because an emulator doesn't run Windows games flawlessly is not a good one, especially since it runs all LINUX games without problems.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      The argument that a linux driver is not good because an emulator doesn't run Windows games flawlessly is not a good one, especially since it runs all LINUX games without problems.
                      I think you misunderstand. I wasn't saying that Wine is or was the only application running poorly on fglrx. It was just an example, an extremely prevalent one at that.

Comment

Working...
                      X