Drivers for linux are rubbish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is a frustration subject.

They want the better performance of ati hardware mixed with superb nvidia drivers mixed with WINE performing better than windows 7 with directx 11 to play his teenager videogames.

As this thing doesn't exit they come to an ati linux support forum to relieve their feelings, and to be readed by a large audience because if they go to an linux nvidia support forum only 2 plp would read them (yah beceause nvidia works so well that nobody ask for support, or maybe ... only maybe, because nobody buys nvidia nowadays??)

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
      They want the better performance of ati hardware mixed with superb nvidia drivers mixed with WINE performing better than windows 7 with directx 11 to play his teenager videogames.
      Nice strawman.

Noone's demanding superfast DirectX 11 3D through WINE. What we ask for is decent, functional 3D. It's nice if it works with common Windows games through WINE, usually D3D 8 or 9.

Also, fast 2D would be nice as well. This has been a really weak point of fglrx for many many years. 2D has always been sub-par. Maybe that will change with the new 2D acceleration being implemented, but who knows? And why wait to find out if you can get a faster card now from a competitor?

As this thing doesn't exit they come to an ati linux support forum to relieve their feelings, and to be readed by a large audience because if they go to an linux nvidia support forum only 2 plp would read them (yah beceause nvidia works so well that nobody ask for support, or maybe ... only maybe, because nobody buys nvidia nowadays??)
      You have no idea, do you?

Comment

"What we ask for is decent, functional 3D" fglrx already has.

"fast 2D would be nice as well. This has been a really weak point" aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,Direct2DAccel,TRUE

Comment

"fast 2D would be nice as well. This has been a really weak point" aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,Direct2DAccel,TRUE
          D2d doesn't work for shit yet, cant people are recommending this right now. its not even close to being finished yet. I enabled this on my ati 2600 and cat 10.5 today and it was slower, had really buggy fade animations, and docky was rendered all messed up.

Comment

We're certainly not recommending that anyone use the new acceleration code yet. That's why only NDA beta testers were told about it

When development is finished the new code will be enabled by default.
            Test signature

Comment

Sure. And maybe one day my HD4780 it will work just as well in Wine as a Geforce 9500.

This isn't a major point for me any more, as fglrx has improved tremendously in the last year or so.

As you can see by the two posts below, this solution is neither ready nor recommended by ATI/AMD.

I can not in good conscience recommend any Linux user to buy an ATI card based on features its driver might get some time in the future.

Comment

I know it is buggy, but if you try it, you can see that it is fast too.

Comment

I know it is buggy, but if you try it, you can see that it is fast too.
                  I've been trying it since 10.4. Unfortunately, it was too buggy and not as fast as I would have hoped.

I'm crossing my fingers hoping it will be ready soon, but who besides AMD knows?

Comment

Originally posted by albatorsk View Post
                    Sure. And maybe one day my HD4780 it will work just as well in Wine as a Geforce 9500.

This isn't a major point for me any more, as fglrx has improved tremendously in the last year or so.

As you can see by the two posts below, this solution is neither ready nor recommended by ATI/AMD.

I can not in good conscience recommend any Linux user to buy an ATI card based on features its driver might get some time in the future.
                    Wine was developed primarily upon nvidia cards, with nvidia drivers, and working around nvidia driver bugs. Historically this was due to nvidia being the only ones at the time with proper drivers - AMD has them now, and the wine devs can develop on those too. It's not just fglrx improving - it's wine improving as well.
                    But again it's also another case of - if wine is that important, why not just use windows and be done with it? Other areas should be considered too.

Comment

Originally posted by albatorsk View Post

What we are recommending today is the use of an X server with the backclear patch applied.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X