Drivers for linux are rubbish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
    I want to own an ATI card. I was about to buy one on the promises made by others prior to the release of fglrx 10.5 but then these forums had posters saying they were still having problems with it and it wasn't fixing issues they were hoping it would.
    OK, I have to ask. Who was making those promises ?
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      OK, I have to ask. Who was making those promises ?
      You must of read the many post along the lines of "fglrx works for me, and is as good as the nVidia blob"

You on the other hand you have been completely honest and transparent as far as I've read anyway.

I believe you'll be able to find posts in this very thread stating that fglrx is comparable to nVidia's blob. I'll be waiting to see what happen with 10.6

If it's not what I'm personally hoping for I'll buy the nVidia card and use a two card system for a while. My work flow is fine with a two separate desktop system. One card running two monitors and another card running another X session. It's not as good as being able to move a window across all three screens though.

Also there's some talk of an "Eyefinity 4" card by Saphhire that'll provide outputs for concurrent use of three DVI type outputs in addition to the DP output. That might be worth waiting for,

Comment

You must of read the many post along the lines of "fglrx works for me, and is as good as the nVidia blob"
        Since when does someone stating their own personal experience with the driver translate to being a promise?

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by adamk View Post
          Since when does someone stating their own personal experience with the driver translate to being a promise?

Adam
          Well Adam perhaps "assurances" is a better word then "promises" if you really want to press the issue.

Comment

Well Adam perhaps "assurances" is a better word then "promises" if you really want to press the issue.
            If you are referring to me, I want you to know that I have never said the fglrx blob is better than nvidia or vice versa. All I am saying is, that they have different problems both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
              Same here. I'd like to get an ATI card but there's no taking it back because you're unsatisfied how it runs in Linux.

Another reason ATI is suspect for support is that there is no support for X-Server 1.8. Therefore, you can't even use a HD 4xxx card in Fedora 13 except for OSS drivers. But, then what are your options for 3D?

So, ATI won't even cover the latest Fedora and this distro is in the top 3 of popularity. Nvidia's 9xxx and GT200 at least work in it so you can compare to at least HD 4xxx's situation. I am not sure about Fermi cards but Evergreen doesn't work in Fedora at all either.

ATI/AMD have slow support but in this particular case, NO support.
              If you are planning to use distro's, which is not supported by fglrx I would not recommend Ati. Unless ofcourse you plan to use the oss drivers, which is good for anything but gaming right now.

Comment

Therefore, you can't even use a HD 4xxx card in Fedora 13 except for OSS drivers. But, then what are your options for 3D?
                This is getting really tiring.....

Your options are to use the 3d acceleration provided by the open drivers which work out of the box with Fedora 13.

It works up to OpenGL 2.0 + GLSL 1.1. Which covers most native games for Linux, and most non-professional programs.

That is your option. It might not be sufficient for your particular requirements, but don't claim that there are no options.

As for gaming, I'm going to play some games right now, using the free drivers.

Comment

Still demonstrates that the use of anchient nVidia cards can be used on a modern composited Linux desktop though.
                  It looks like an important half has been left out there: "Using an OSS driver which isn't supported by nvidia in any way..."
                  radeon seems to do just fine for that too...
                  You gotta keep the comparison fair all the way through

Comment

So, ok fglrx doesn't support latest fedora, doesn't support video without tearing using xv (mplayer + gl works), and doesn't support latest kernels without patching.

@ mugginz, panix buy and nvidia card and be happy with the driver support / features they are offering. If you like their support buy nvidia.

All the arguments you had post on this thread you had already posted 20 times (at least) by yourselfs on other threads.

Why the hell are you repeating over and over the same arguments on an ati support forum ? it is not an ati blame forum (do you realize?), what porpoise are you looking for?? are you payed by nvidia? are you bored and come here only to waste time?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                      So, ok fglrx doesn't support latest fedora, doesn't support video without tearing using xv (mplayer + gl works), and doesn't support latest kernels without patching.

@ mugginz, panix buy and nvidia card and be happy with the driver support / features they are offering. If you like their support buy nvidia.

All the arguments you had post on this thread you had already posted 20 times (at least) by yourselfs on other threads.

Why the hell are you repeating over and over the same arguments on an ati support forum ? it is not an ati blame forum (do you realize?), what porpoise are you looking for?? are you payed by nvidia? are you bored and come here only to waste time?
                      Because bashing Ati with the same old issues over and over again, helps their conscience when they are going to buy nvidia -> supporting the non opensource friendly company ;-) Well nothin wrong with that btw.

Naaw, just kidding really.

Comment

Working...
                      X