Drivers for linux are rubbish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
    Yeah, if you INSIST on experimenting with an ATI GPU do it with, at first, a cheap/free preferably semi-recent second hand GPU on a desktop.

Why? While most modern notebook you can use various MXM GPU card you will also likely need a new heatsink mfg/ODM MAY have them o.w. you'll need to fabricate one. Also MXM GPUs are incredibly expensive for what they are.

[stupid 1m editing...]
    Okay. I am willing to experiment with a cheap second hand card. How is the 4870 nowadays? For video/2D/3D? Does it work as good as Nvidia 9800GT/GTS 250?

Can I watch a video/divx/dvd without tearing on both ATI drivers?

I'm going to hold off on buying a BRAND NEW recent card for now. I can always sell either card above since there is still some demand for them.

Comment

I guess ATI should write the list of supported distros for fglrx on the download page... in bold... size 72... with animated GIFs of garden dwarves dancing around...

The release notes state which distros are supported, alternatively
      Code:
      sh ./ati-driver-installer-YY-MM-x86-x86_64.run --listpkg
      If your distro isn't on the list (or if you start mucking around too much), the message is "You're on your own". Alternatively "Hope for the maintainers to provide assistance".

fglrx -> select stable distribution releases; for the latest and greatest, feel free to have a look at the FOSS drivers.

Their policy has been hammered down for a while now, what's so hard to understand about it? Also, are stable releases for wussies and lesser beings?

The "but nvidia doesn't do that" argument is as relevant as saying "but in windows I only need to double-click on the icon to launch the installation program". Seriously...

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
        Okay. I am willing to experiment with a cheap second hand card. How is the 4870 nowadays? For video/2D/3D? Does it work as good as Nvidia 9800GT/GTS 250?
        No, not even close.

Some people claim it works when using OpenGL output instead of XVideo. Maybe I'm simply using the wrong combination of software because I simply cannot get tear free video on my 4870.

Stick with nVidia for the next couple of years would be my advice.

Comment

Originally posted by albatorsk View Post
          No, not even close.

Some people claim it works when using OpenGL output instead of XVideo. Maybe I'm simply using the wrong combination of software because I simply cannot get tear free video on my 4870.

Stick with nVidia for the next couple of years would be my advice.
          He is asking if he can use tear free video on both drivers. The answer should be:

- on oss -> Yes you can watch tearfree xv videos without any problems.
          - in fglrx -> You have to use mplayer with opengl as output. Then activate vsync through amdcccle and you should be good. Using it almost every day.

Comment

@albatorsk: A 4870 surpasses the cards Panix used as examples, performance-wise.

Benchmarks start at page 8 for both comparisons:

(Note these benchmarks were tested from Windows machine, but that makes little difference regarding performance comparisons)

Comment

You have asked that question at least a dozen times, and it has been answered as many times as well. Why do you keep asking the same questions over and over again?

Also it seems you can not let an opportunity pass by without bashing ATI drivers while at the same time pretending to be a potential ATI customer. Really this is getting old and boring, find a new schtick already.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                You have asked that question at least a dozen times, and it has been answered as many times as well. Why do you keep asking the same questions over and over again?

Also it seems you can not let an opportunity pass by without bashing ATI drivers while at the same time pretending to be a potential ATI customer. Really this is getting old and boring, find a new schtick already.
                Sigh... Well, the last time I read about a solution for tearing it was from bridgman and IIRC, it was use GL for video and have vsync enabled. Of course, you can't have compositing enabled or run Compiz during the video play. I am not sure if it is specific to a series of card but I think we were discussing the HD 5xxx series at the time.

I guess I have a bad memory so sue me. Tearing keeps coming up as an issue so if there is a simple solution, there should be a sticky or the solution should be posted enough times so people can easily find/read the solution.

The other problem is that some users might want more options and to use xv. I am not sure if there is a solution under that scenario.

If you can humor me and anyone else who wishes to read of the solutiong for tearing, maybe mention whether the 'solution' (or the one I asserted) covers both the HD 4xxx and HD 5xxx series. I suppose this covers the binary/fglrx driver and that the 2d OSS driver is fine for playing video?

Again, the issues keep coming up or there wouldn't be confusion or doubt on what to do to solve it.

Comment

Sigh... Well, the last time I read about a solution for tearing it was from bridgman and IIRC, it was use GL for video and have vsync enabled. Of course, you can't have compositing enabled or run Compiz during the video play. I am not sure if it is specific to a series of card but I think we were discussing the HD 5xxx series at the time.
                  This is specific to fglrx as mentioned by Hans above. Doesn't matter what card.

The other problem is that some users might want more options and to use xv. I am not sure if there is a solution under that scenario.
                  Tear-free Xv is only possible with OSS radeon driver, again as mentioned by Hans above. Currently no support for Evergreen (aka HD 5xxx), hopefully support coming soon though.

Comment

I believe Hans also said that you could get tear-free video via fglrx *with* Compiz as long as you used mplayer rather than some other player.
                    Test signature

Comment

I have a HD 5850 card and I do use mplayer. Tried the two xv outputs and the six gl/gl2 outputs and I still get tearing. I'm using the latest fglrx driver and have tried a bunch of options in aticonfig. Also have enabled/disabled compiz when trying all these.

... and I still get tearing. The issue is so annoying that I come to these forums everyday just waiting to find that configuration change or software that would solve this issue for me.

Let's create a sticky about Tearing so that the ATI devs are aware of this issue. It's definitely the number one issue that needs to be solved ASAP.

Comment

Working...
                      X