Drivers for linux are rubbish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by albatorsk View Post
    But also simple things like being able to scroll in GNOME Terminal without lag. That I really miss since my nVidia days.
    Emulators... i didn't know. So d2d should be useful there.

Gnome doesn't scroll?? I am using kde 4.4 backclear path applied, compositing is ok, windows resizing ok, video opengl ok, scrolling ok... all I see is working fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
      I can understand casual gamers that use wine, but for a "gamer" (plp who loves to try latest games) i cannot imagine why they use wine.
      I agree. I'm not expecting the latest and greatest DirectX 10 or 11 games to run great, if at all, through Wine.

Anyway, the common error is to use wine incompatibilities (before wine 1.2 and fglrx 10.5 XD) with ati to blame ati opengl 3d performance. This is just ignorance.
      I am what you would probably call a casual gamer. Maybe I'll fire up a game once or twice a week or so.

In this specific case it's Homeworld 2. A truly marvelous 3D RTS. The thing is, I never did finish it back in the day so I thought I'd give it a whirl. On my 8800 it ran supersmooth. It was a joy to play. Unfortunately, it's not so on my 4870.

I'm not laying all my blame on AMD. They have clearly improved their driver a lot the last few years. But the fact is that they have been so far behind for so long that even with their huge improvements, they're not quite there yet.

Comment

Emulators... i didn't know. So d2d should be useful there.

Gnome doesn't scroll?? I am using kde 4.4 backclear path applied, compositing is ok, windows resizing ok, video opengl ok, scrolling ok... all I see is working fine.

Not to hijack, but can you briefly clue me in as to what backclear is/was?

Comment

Fglrx is slow resizing windows on desktops that use compositing.

It is said that is xorg fault and not totally fglrx. Anyway the error is this:

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! The comment list to this bug reach a point of entries at this we must declare this buglist for "full". The buglist appears unreadable for many people because of launchpad timeouts. So it was the decision to make a new entry in launchpad as a successor of this bug. You should use https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fglrx-installer/+bug/568988 instead. Thanks. ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ...

You have to update your xorg using this ppa:

Comment

Originally posted by albatorsk View Post
            I agree. I'm not expecting the latest and greatest DirectX 10 or 11 games to run great, if at all, through Wine.

I am what you would probably call a casual gamer. Maybe I'll fire up a game once or twice a week or so.

In this specific case it's Homeworld 2. A truly marvelous 3D RTS. The thing is, I never did finish it back in the day so I thought I'd give it a whirl. On my 8800 it ran supersmooth. It was a joy to play. Unfortunately, it's not so on my 4870.

I'm not laying all my blame on AMD. They have clearly improved their driver a lot the last few years. But the fact is that they have been so far behind for so long that even with their huge improvements, they're not quite there yet.
            So, based on your homeworld 2 experience ati has to improve its 3d opengl, yeah, as I said this is just ...

Comment

So, based on your homeworld 2 experience ati has to improve its 3d opengl, yeah, as I said this is just ...
              Sigh. I gave an example. One out of many. I'll refrain from doing that in the future.

All hail AMD. Thou shalt not be criticized. You art perfect and everything not right is someone else's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                No, it just means that you're barking up the wrong tree.

You should complain to the WINE people.

The argument that a linux driver is not good because an emulator doesn't run Windows games flawlessly is not a good one, especially since it runs all LINUX games without problems.
                I'm sorry but that's not a very good argument. Just because some simple Linux games run without problems on fglrx, doesn't mean there aren't any bugs in fglrx.

I'm not saying that there aren't any bugs in wine, there sure are. But wine has also exposed a lot of bugs in the fglrx driver. And a total system crash or lockup can *never* be wine's fault, since wine is only userland code.

Comment

Can you name a native OpenGL application that doesn't work on fglrx? I've asked other people and they couldn't.

True, the 2D stuff is a bit dodgy on fglrx now, but I run open drivers and 2D is amazing there.

Comment

I'm sorry but that's not a very good argument. Just because some simple Linux games run without problems on fglrx, doesn't mean there aren't any bugs in fglrx.
                    I'm not saying that there are no bugs in fglrx! But Wine is known for using nVidia workarounds which cannot (shouldn't) work in the first place on different hardware.

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      Can you name a native OpenGL application that doesn't work on fglrx? I've asked other people and they couldn't.
                      Yes. Last time I tried gnome-shell with fglrx it was broken. It did work fine with the oss r600 driver however.

Comment

Working...
                      X