Drivers for linux are rubbish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
    Your nvidia card can not load fglrx so you don't have problems with ati propietary drivers (other than your fears with it).
    But if I'm in the market for an ATI card I think I should concern myself with the quality of its drivers, don't you?

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
    By the same reason you have no experience with fglrx so you cannot help to ati users with problems. There is no reason you post on an ati fglrx support forum.
    I've used it on other peoples hardware.

And yes there is a reason to post here about fglrx's problems as well as the problems with nVidia's blob. If and when fglrx is better than nVidia's blob I'll be letting people know.

Comment

• Originally posted by mugginz View Post
      But if I'm in the market for an ATI card I think I should concern myself with the quality of its drivers, don't you?

I've used it on other peoples hardware.

And yes there is a reason to post here about fglrx's problems as well as the problems with nVidia's blob. If and when fglrx is better than nVidia's blob I'll be letting people know.
      how will you know?

Comment

• Originally posted by panix View Post
        but, i'm not asking 5 years ago. I am asking now.
        ***exactly!!!
        :d

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans View Post
          Thats the whole problem. Many of the users in here bash fglrx without even having tried fglrx. Its like a never ending loop. Panix bashes fglrx and other folks see his posts and think thats how it is, which lead them to bash fglrx in other threads. Now then Panix see theirs threads and think that might be the truth.
          So if an nVidia card allows VLC, mplayer, Totem, xine to playback vsynced video in a composited environment and an ATI card driven by fglrx doesn't, isn't it fine to acknowledge that?

So if an nVidia card doesn't support later versions of xrandr isn't it fine to acknowledge that?

If all of the problems are on the table, someone reading these forums can make up their own mind as to whether or not a particular feature is critical to them and purchase appropriately.

Well guys. Fglrx isn't that bad. I think people in here are tired of telling you this. No matter what we say, you will find some issues to complain about. Issues which might even not come from an Ati user.
          The list of issues fglrx has is fairly static and while they exist there shouldn't be any issue in stating what they are. When they're rectified this should also be stated. Omitting the full picture isn't a good thing to do.

Again, people say things like "fglrx is really good, works well for me" and in isolation such statements will give people the impression they can do everything they want with an ATI card. There's nothing wrong with saying what's good and bad with fglrx to provide a balanced view of the situation. Just as it's appropriate to state the good and bad of nVidia.

I actually do have an Ati card and a nvidia card and by then have a reference. Really if I had to buy a card today, I would pick an Ati card again. Why? Because fglrx is improving very fast, and might in few month converge to a rather good blob. But the main reason is their oss driver, which is even improving faster. Hell, I look forward to use the oss drivers, when powermanagement and galium3d has been stabilized (which they might before fall?).
          And I myself have said things along the lines of fglrx is good enough for certain situations and when the flaws it does have that are relevant to me are rectified I'll be buying an ATI card.

Other issues like wine support with fglrx has also improved a lot since the last wine and fglrx releases. Actually my source games and guildwar works splendid. I can post you a video if you don't believe me ;-)
          And that's more good news that's previously been mentioned elsewhere and helps to provide hope that fglrx will be really good, real soon now.

The issue with poor 2d performance is probably fixed in fglrx 10.6.
          I've said as much myself. Probably somewhere in this very thread.

Last issue: Stable video decoding. <- Well that isn't that bad.
          I agree that in isolation it's not a deal breaker for me. It is one of the straws breaking the camels back at the moment. I judge the overall landscape and when on the whole the ATI/fglrx combination is better than the nVidia/blob combination I'll be buying ATI.

All in all. I can say I am satisfied with fglrx.
          Nothing wrong with stating that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
            - Cuda 3.0 is better than openCL
            Not really... cuda is proprietary whereas openCL is open. That's enough to make all the difference.
            - VDPAU
            AMD has this too, even intel for that matter. They just use a different name for it.

And FYI: My most recent nvidia nightmare was over this. I gave up on it since their drivers simply *did not work*. At least not with the hardware I was trying to use, which yes, was an 8xxx. If it wasn't a laptop, I would have chucked the card out on my lawn and run it over with a grass cutter.

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              I still don't understand why we are discussing whether the forum posts on the internet somewhere are written by nvidia users or amd users. It's a useless discussion.

Go to your local retailer, get a graphics card, test it on your computer, and if you don't like it, give it back.

It will take you half a day, instead of making theories on forum posts for weeks.
              I wish the stores around here had the return policy apparently the stores around you have.

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                I still don't understand why we are discussing whether the forum posts on the internet somewhere are written by nvidia users or amd users. It's a useless discussion.

Go to your local retailer, get a graphics card, test it on your computer, and if you don't like it, give it back.

It will take you half a day, instead of making theories on forum posts for weeks.
                That's usually a bad approach;
                1) just about all stores that don't rape you on sticker price don't do refunds.
                2) online stores take a whole lot more than half a day.

Comment

• Originally posted by adamk View Post
                  For me, absolutely. I would guess the same is true for other's as well.

Adam
                  So how you find the tear free playback with VLC?

If you're using mplayer with GL output in full screen mode as the only way to get it, then it doesn't mean you can't have tear free playback, but it does seam less than completely open not to mention any caveats you're aware of with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
                    how will you know?
                    I'm sure you'll let me know.

Comment

• Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                      So how you find the tear free playback with VLC?
                      I don't use vlc (except in Windows). Even with the little tearing that I have noticed once in a while, though, fglrx is still more functional and reliable for me than the nvidia drivers were. Unlike nvidia, at least fglrx doesn't result in a full system lockup.

Adam

Comment

Working...
                      X