apple.com/html5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• apple.com/html5

Just a quick note for those wanting to view the HTML5 demos on Apple's web site.

In Apple's usual, lame style, the demos wont render with Chrome and instead for us Linux users, we are presented with a "Download Safari to see this, it's available for Windows and Mac" message which isn't exactly helpful.

The user-agent spoofers for Chrome are also of no use in this situation. While Chrome should be capable of rendering these demos, Apple are instead taking another opportunity to pimp themselves.

So, instead of installing a VM running Windows in order to see what the fuss is about, there are various videos showing them on the Youtube.

Here's a couple I've found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAy-nKUwMLg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_xKvBWSzWw

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
    Just a quick note for those wanting to view the HTML5 demos on Apple's web site.

In Apple's usual, lame style, the demos wont render with Chrome and instead for us Linux users, we are presented with a "Download Safari to see this, it's available for Windows and Mac" message which isn't exactly helpful.

The user-agent spoofers for Chrome are also of no use in this situation. While Chrome should be capable of rendering these demos, Apple are instead taking another opportunity to pimp themselves.

So, instead of installing a VM running Windows in order to see what the fuss is about, there are various videos showing them on the Youtube.

Here's a couple I've found.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_xKvBWSzWw
    Works fine in Konq using the Webkit back end.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Works fine in Konq using the Webkit back end.
      Did you have to spoof the User-Agent or not? Some people are saying it does work in Chrome or Firefox with proper UA spoofing.

Comment

it's works without any voodoo for me, too:

midori + webkit-gtk

but it's dogslow watch the Tron trailer and you'll see that flash is way better right now

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
          Did you have to spoof the User-Agent or not? Some people are saying it does work in Chrome or Firefox with proper UA spoofing.
          Yes that's what I'd like to know as well.

I'm fairly certain that Chrome's up to the task of rendering the demos, just that Google haven't provided the required mechanisms in order to fully spoof user agent strings. It'd be nice if they at least had command line options to do it.

When I used to run Konqueror one of the good things about it was it's nice user agent sppofage built right into the program by default.

Comment

HTML5 is pretty nifty, but its also at a very -very- immature state with browser support currently... especially stuff like webGL.

Comment

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.2+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/531.2+ Debian/squeeze/sid () Epiphany/2.30.0

Apple failed to block Epiphany. Chrome works perfectly using the default Epiphany user agent. Firefox fails.

Why is Apple blocking other web browsers?

Comment

Real HTML test: http://html5test.com/

Epiphany 2.30.2 gets 187 + 9 points.
                Chromium 5.0.375.70 gets 197 + 7 points.
                Firefox 3.6.3 gets 139 + 4 points.
                Firefox Trunk Nightly gets 176 + 9 points.

Comment

I'm scoring 207 + 7 with Chrome 5.0.375.55.

Comment

Wierd that there's a difference between Chrome and Chromium. Perhaps something was disabled in the stable build.

Comment

Working...
                    X