Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannonical update botches again: 8.04.1 hosed

Gents:

We all know how the quality of Ubuntu updates has "tubed" in the last 6 months. First the 9.1/9.2 fiasco ... then the corruptive updates to the newly released LL_10.04 LTS ; every update destroyed something that had previously worked ... and still does !! Then there was the issue the LM_sensors never worked on the gd70 --- but that was MSIs fault eh ... hehehe...

Now this ... an 8.04.1 LTS update ( on my "2nd" ASUS_M2N kit ) that wipes clean the previous installed GUI and leaves lusr flopping about at 640x480 like a beached fish after a storm. That's all legacy kit like the Mona Lisa or a Shaker table ... not to be f*cked with ! Can't even see the entire screen now. Just didn't matter ... all those blotchy icons how can you casually trash a lusr_base like that ?

Unless some code experiment had to be performed and tested " for the greater good". Ha hahahahaha. Feckin-A Cannonical. Mebby M$ just bought them and some ol'-hand Debian coders are hosing-da-base.

If M$ had bought them, then it would at least work. So, they didn't buy them, no such luck.

Comment

Don't blame Debian for Ubuntu's problems. Blame all it's organizers and leaders who don't know the first thing about code.

Comment

Man this is this patheic:

Recent Ubuntu Lucid uses nouveau driver for nvidia cards. The driver is a reverse engineered graphics driver and it still has some bugs (lik...

Users should be never get a blank screen when they boot Ubuntu. It's a horrbile first impression of Linux for many that are affected. There's no reason why they should have used Nouveau as the default over vesa at this point. Maybe in a year when Nouveau is ready, but not now.

Ubuntu should not be using unstable software like Nouveau in the default install.

Comment

Originally posted by darkphoenix22 View Post
          Ubuntu should not be using unstable software like Nouveau in the default install.
          Sorry but Linus was the one calling them to pull it into main. I don't like Ubuntu but this is all his doing.

Comment

Eh. Wasn't Nouveau backported from 2.6.33 into Ubuntu's 2.6.32 kernel?

In any case, vesa should be used by default in distributions for Nvidia cards until the blank screen problems are fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by darkphoenix22 View Post
              Eh. Wasn't Nouveau backported from 2.6.33 into Ubuntu's 2.6.32 kernel?

In any case, vesa should be used by default in distributions for Nvidia cards until the blank screen problems are fixed.

I can remember "configuring" RedHat_5 and SuSE_7.3 ... I thought those early days had passed by ... in particular Red-Hat_6 was a watermark for stable, self_updating systems. Linux had learned howto do things right!
              My Ubuntu_8.04.1 LTS has been **rock solid** for two years. How can ANY responsible admin(s) --- say Cannonical -- just f*ck-it-up for the sake of some low_Beta_version experimentation? Do they think the acro <LTS> is just a marketing slogan --- feckin-A ...

I've said it already re// Ubuntu ... the term SOCIOPATH comes to mind, when considering Cannonical cavalier dis_concern for lusr well-being.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxjoe View Post
                I can remember "configuring" RedHat_5 and SuSE_7.3 ... I thought those early days had passed by ... in particular Red-Hat_6 was a watermark for stable, self_updating systems. Linux had learned howto do things right!
                My Ubuntu_8.04.1 LTS has been **rock solid** for two years. How can ANY responsible admin(s) --- say Cannonical -- just f*ck-it-up for the sake of some low_Beta_version experimentation? Do they think the acro <LTS> is just a marketing slogan --- feckin-A ...

I've said it already re// Ubuntu ... the term SOCIOPATH comes to mind, when considering Cannonical cavalier dis_concern for lusr well-being.
                This is because Ubuntu doesn't have direction. Quite a few of its organizers do not code and do not understand code. Because of this, they have no idea about the effects of their decisions. And the rest of the community has to deal with the consequences.

Desktop Linux is in the same place it was 2 years ago, at the time of Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy. This applies to Fedora and the other mainstream distributions as well. Desktop Linux needs direction to move forward because, at the moment, it is just spinning around in circles.

Comment

Linux is not a toy, it is a production environment.

Comment

Non-programmers should have input and should be able to vote and influence those who program. But they shouldn't be making decisions. Mostly because they can't clean up the mess.

You want to directly influence Linux? Pick up a copy of K&R and start programming. Only then can you take direct responsibility for your decisions.

Comment

Working...
                    X