No announcement yet.

Linux is not ready for Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First it does not support true software mixing - it cannot mix streams of different bitrate and frequency, so if one is playing 44kHz and other starts 22kHz only second is played.
    Can't reproduce. Just generated a 22kHz chirp in Audacity, it played just fine without interrupting my music.

Comment

the last time I tried OSSv4 it so compeletly fucked up my soundcard that I had to turn off the computer. Thank you very much ossv4.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
        the last time I tried OSSv4 it so compeletly fucked up my soundcard that I had to turn off the computer. Thank you very much ossv4.
        Which distro?

Comment

OSSv4. Last time I read about it, it had no support for suspend/resume. So it's not really an option for me.

Comment

This fix should be made default before adoption to fix the suspend/resume issue.

Code:
            #!/bin/bash

if [ [ $EUID -ne 0 ] ]; then
             ## Checking if you are a root or not
               echo "This script must be run as root" 1>&2
               exit 1
             fi

s2ram -f

sleep 2

/etc/rc.d/oss restart 2>/tmp/oss.txt

if [ $? -gt 0 ]; then
             echo "OSS restart failed check /tmp/oss.txt for advice"
             fi

exit 0

Comment

That's not a fix, that's a hack. Suspend/resume must be properly supported by OSSv4 and the drivers itself.

Comment

Originally posted by darkphoenix22 View Post
                Which distro?
                gentoo. But this is not a distro issue. Sound worked - until suddenly everything turned into garbage. I tried restarting oss - no help. Removed the modules. Nothing. Rebooted. Still only loud noise. Shut down, did a save reboot, removed OSSv4, used alsa again: perfect sound.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  gentoo. But this is not a distro issue. Sound worked - until suddenly everything turned into garbage. I tried restarting oss - no help. Removed the modules. Nothing. Rebooted. Still only loud noise. Shut down, did a save reboot, removed OSSv4, used alsa again: perfect sound.
                  Try oss-devel from this overlay. My friend installed it today and he was really impressed. The regular oss package didn't work well for him though.

These problems would likely be solved if OSSv4 is pushed directly into portage. It needs testing and exposure.

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                  That's not a fix, that's a hack. Suspend/resume must be properly supported by OSSv4 and the drivers itself.
                  I agree. This issue needs to be fixed before it is made default in any distribution.

Comment

In any case, ALSA is way too complicated to be properly wrapped and extended. This is why PulseAudio was created in the first place.

OSSv4 is a much simpler API and would be much easier to extend and maintain. We wouldn't have to resort to high-level abstraction to add the features that users want. In any case, I believe OSSv4 needs a bit of work to add a few features needed by general users, such as the suspend/resume and hardware MIDI.

I believe OSSv4, with a bit of work, would be a much more soild foundation for Linux audio. However, until it is ready, it should be a choice not a default.

Comment

As most games use openal and that supports alsa or some other older games use sdl as abstraction layer why does the api matter? You can compile newer libs or just use the prebuild ones which come with the distro (a bit compilicated on 64 maybe). if the names are different just use a few symlinks. For other games like et there are already alsa wrappers - needed for maverick anyway.

UP-TO-DATE INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE HERE about et-sdl-sound provides SDL-based replacement for deprecated OSS-based sound systems of Enemy Territory, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Quake III Arena. To put it short, et-sdl-sound is a working ALSA support hack for ET, RTCW and Q3 (and all mods for those binaries). Since modifying binary directly makes game unplayable, this is accomplished via replacing standard sound system functions in run-time by forcing dynamic linker to load an

So basically i don't see your huge problem...

Comment

Working...
                      X