Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" Alpha 1 Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" Alpha 1 Released

While to many it feels like Ubuntu 10.04 was just released yesterday (in reality it's been out for one month), the first alpha release of Ubuntu 10.10 (a.k.a. the Maverick Meerkat) has been released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have it running right now. It really moves into the right direction. All the tasks a user wants to do have been somehow possible in the past, but now they really focus on the quality of the software and the application's performance. Shotwell replacing F-Spot, Pitivi gaining important functionality, Gwibber performance improvements, new icon theme, more work on the application indicators (including a new replacement for the old behaving networkmanager), new default font, important software center improvements and because of a non LTS release, uptodate with Xorg/Kernel/Mesa again. This will be one hell of a release.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      I have it running right now. It really moves into the right direction. All the tasks a user wants to do have been somehow possible in the past, but now they really focus on the quality of the software and the application's performance. Shotwell replacing F-Spot,
      So I presume that with F-Spot gone Tomboy and that stupid game are now the sole users of the whole Mono runtime. Looks like some serious waste of precious CD-ROM space... Especially since Gnote would be an excellent replacement for Tomboy.

Comment

Slow news day?

I've been playing with it for a few days too, but I don't think this is the kind of "release" that should be advertised outside of the development community. I mean, we're still half a month from the feature definition freeze.

The ffmpeg extras packages are in a broken state, encrypted home directory creation is broken, non-Qt apps are opening icon sized windows everywhere under KDE4.4, etc... this is for serious testers/devs not the kind of thing you want to make random noobs aware of lest they might actually install it and start whining.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post
          this is for serious testers/devs not the kind of thing you want to make random noobs aware of lest they might actually install it and start whining.
          The download page explicitly states that this release is not for anyone who needs a stable system. I doubt anyone who can't be bothered to read that would read Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by waucka View Post
            The download page explicitly states that this release is not for anyone who needs a stable system. I doubt anyone who can't be bothered to read that would read Phoronix.
            I'm afraid that some people wandering to this site for the first time are typical consumers just now exploring Linux. They will not necessarily know how big the difference is between an alpha and a RC (which always have a similar warning); most will just assume newer=better.

You and I know that the warning means "serious-breakage ahead", but noobs will have no clue given the light and unforboding tone of this article.

Comment

Revised headline : "Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" Alpha 1 Released, but it might destroy your system, kill your cat or ruin your life".
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Revised headline : "Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" Alpha 1 Released, but it might destroy your system, kill your cat or ruin your life".
                You forgot "eats your children". Please revise.

Comment

Now Ubuntu 10.10 has been released does that mean no more lovely graphs of 10.04 (now that it's old)

(jk btw)

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    more work on the application indicators (including a new replacement for the old behaving networkmanager)
                    What's the replacement for network-manager called? I still have both n-m and nm-applet running.

Comment

Working...
                    X