Even With MeeGo, Poulsbo & Moorestown Are Crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djtm View Post
    Thanks! Which driver are you using? Did Vlc 1.1 work for you?
    I am using the Intel GMA 500 laptop graphics controller version 2024, i.e. not IEGD. I believe I tried some beta version of vlc with preliminary DXVA2 support without success. Mpc-hc from xvidvideo.ru works okay, but actually the builtin MS codecs with EVR work really well. With Haali media splitter and ac3filter you are pretty much covered. Some filter merit tweaking may be needed to make EVR default.
    However, what most people from the Linux community seem oblivious to is the fact that the Windows drivers are not great either.

Comment

I am very aware of the windows drivers being bad. Actually they're worse than the Linux driver in many ways, e.g. they lack hw video scaling (it's just a blocky mess). I'm really fond of how absolutely flawlessly mplayer with vaapi is working in Linux. Only some old DivX files don't want to play properly. But h264 in any resolution I could find (highest was 1080p @ 50fps) works perfectly. If only the standby would still work afterwards...

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Page View Post
        Considering intel's said the Atom Z600 series *cannot* run Windows, they'd better get this smeg sorted out quick, since otherwise they won't be able to run *anything* worth a darn
        The current N-series Atoms don't couple a GMA500, but rather a GMA3400 in the chipset... Maybe they figured out it wasn't such a hot idea to do what they did with Poulsbo?

Comment

Originally posted by gellert View Post
          However, what most people from the Linux community seem oblivious to is the fact that the Windows drivers are not great either.
          Oh, we're not oblivious. The big problem is with GETTING the drivers to work on the distribution of our choice as much as anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            The current N-series Atoms don't couple a GMA500, but rather a GMA3400 in the chipset... Maybe they figured out it wasn't such a hot idea to do what they did with Poulsbo?
            Nothing much has changed in this regard. N-series has NEVER come with PSB/SGX GPU. However, the N-series comes with GMA950 (which is fine -- all intel IP no weird driver issues). I can't find any reference to a "GMA3400", even on intel's website. I suspect that you may have got this one wrong.

The issue is regarding the Z-series atom chips, and the DEFINING CHARACTERISTIC of the Z-series is the poulsbo chipSET, which includes the horrifying GMA500/SGX535.

Advantage is H264 video decoding and no need for a cooling fan.
            Disadvantage speaks for itself.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              I can't find any reference to a "GMA3400", even on intel's website.
              That's because it's actualy GMA 3150 and not 3400.

The issue is regarding the Z-series atom chips, and the DEFINING CHARACTERISTIC of the Z-series is the poulsbo chipSET, which includes the horrifying GMA500/SGX535.
              And now the new GMA600 on Lincroft (Z6xx) whichs suffers from the same problems as the GMA500. The disappointment in these parts is due to the fact that it is really good hardware, but the software is horrible.

Advantage is H264 video decoding and no need for a cooling fan.
              Disadvantage speaks for itself.
              I believe it also has good 3D performance, at least compared to the previous GMA950. The new 3150 has even worse performance than 950, but it has more video playback capabilities. Intel seems to be focusing on what's important for most users, although I wouldn't mind playing some OpenArena from time to time on a netbook.

Comment

Working...
              X