Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PTS feature idea

@Michael:

What about adding an option to the automated tests to send an e-mail to a given mailing list if there was a speed change in one/some benchmarks.

Something like this: kernel regression found (e.g. speed regression > 10%)
    Automatic e-mail to lkml which says when the regression was found and in which test(s) and hardware configuration.

Still not as good as automatic bisecting, but a good next step.
    Of course, you could send an e-mail if there is a speed increase.

Then you can write articles like "Huge regression was found and fixed thanks to PTS" which is a better advertisement.

Just my 2 cents...

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
      It is not Michael's job to report bugs. His job is to run this site.

wrong. If you are part of the linux ecosystem you can choose one of two roles:

contributor
      or
      parasite

reporting the bugs you find is the minimum you can do. On the other hand it is not the kernel dev's job to scan phoronix articles for some information that might give a hint of a bug somewhere. You find a bug, you report it. That was the deal from the beginning. Writing agressive articles without any hint where the bug might be just hurts the basis you are living from.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
        wrong. If you are part of the linux ecosystem you can choose one of two roles:

contributor
        or
        parasite
        And when I am promoting Linux to friends and family while using it but not reporting bugs what does that make me(take note that I promote the thing to users that won't report bugs or do anything else except using the thing=parasites?=normal users)?

Comment

Originally posted by SkyHiRider View Post
          And when I am promoting Linux to friends and family while using it but not reporting bugs what does that make me(take note that I promote the thing to users that won't report bugs or do anything else except using the thing=parasites?=normal users)?
          a parasite that informs other parasites of a victim? but seriously, if you don't report bugs, you don't have any right to complain.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
            a parasite that informs other parasites of a victim? but seriously, if you don't report bugs, you don't have any right to complain.
            Ahh, how poetic, wanted to hear that from you. So you are against the use of Linux by users that just want to use their pc for fun and work but lack any advanced knowledge about pc's in general?

Comment

I am against turning Linux into windows.

if you are not contributing - why should anybody care if you use linux or not? If you don't even report bugs, you have zero right to complain about them.

Comment

Well, Linux is not Windows and that's why I like it more - it's a welcomed change. And complaining about something too is a form of bug reporting, you send out what you miss/dislike and if the right ears hear your plea you contribute a little bit at least.

And in todays world of Android, Chromium os and others saying what you are saying strikes me as odd, as there will be more and more users that just use the thing for it's reach features and performance and usability benefits. Saying they have no right to complain is also odd, as they are users and use the system legally so they can complain all they want, its a free world today for the best or for the worst. If you do not like the fact that everyone can use it than change the license your software uses, should have thought about it before using a form of GPL or other such license for your sw.

I'm all up for a discussion on irc whenever you feel like it, as its a good place as any for a nice open minded discussion (also don't wish to spam the forum too much).

Comment

if you buy an android phone, you paid someone to care about your trouble. If you use chromium os google paid for that - and you are paying watching ads. But if you just write an inflammatory article, without giving the devs even a chance to find or fix the mess, you overstepped a line.

Comment

Well, at least they know there is a mess to begin with, and at least they have an independent person that is testing their stuff from a possibly different point of view that might provide different insight on the thing. It's not that bad really, just need to look at the bright side of it.

Comment

they had people reporting a problem, even bisecting it. That is 'they know about the mess' and not 'oh noes, there is a problem, but we don't tell the people who can fix it'. So phoronix was completely useless.

Comment

Working...
                      X