No announcement yet.

Ubuntu To Pull In New Versions Of Firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whole KDE SC has point releases which mostly bug fix but sometimes also add some things ...

Not including them was always stupid to me and now FF gets an exeption...

Time for kubuntu devs to think about the same policy for point releases of KDE

Comment

Breaking News!

Ubuntu now will zero /tmp on boot.

In other news:

Ubuntu switching default wallpaper from sandy-sand to curly-light-gray.
      Ubuntu switches to libjpeg8. (<fanfares>)

Degradation of importance of topics being covered by Phoronix is worrying me a bit...

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
        Why not do it with all software and stop releasing new versions of Ubuntu each 6 months. Of course kernel updates shouldn't be installed automatically and should be marked as optional.

They could still release a new Ubuntu every year, to update the artwork and other trademark changes.
        That is a good idea. Canonical should do that.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisccoulson View Post
          Lucid will get Firefox 4.0 as 3.6.x approaches EOL
          Are You sure? Then why Fx 3.6.4 is going to be pulled into not only Lucid, but also Hardy, Jaunty and Karmic? After all, Karmic uses Fx 3.5; it's still supported and will be for a couple of months...

I really hope Canonical will upgrade Fx major versions asap, not when approaching EOL. BTW, it would be also easier for them to maintain (one Fx version for all systems).

So, again - are You sure?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisccoulson View Post
            This policy is specific to Firefox at the moment (and also Chromium), due to the way their support models work. There is no need to apply the same policy to other software that doesn't present the same maintenance challenges.

Lucid will get Firefox 4.0 as 3.6.x approaches EOL
            Since FFox 3.6.3 is buggy as a wasps_nest ... and about as friendly, who cares how quickly it updates? It's kinda like the rest of LL_10.04 ... every update destroys another piece of working function. UP->down ... back-> forth. Slither sidewayz. From one web_surf to the next you really don't what or know how disfunctional the browser will be.

Mebby it's time for M$ to buythemout and (*TM) make-stuff-work !

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
              whole KDE SC has point releases which mostly bug fix but sometimes also add some things ...

Exactly... and I also do hope we will get those point releases ... If Gnome did those Canonical would for sure include them ...

Comment

How tired can one be to reply to his own post ?

*stupid one minute time limit*

Comment

Originally posted by jaxjoe View Post
                  Since FFox 3.6.3 is buggy as a wasps_nest ... (...) every update destroys another piece of working function.
                  I haven't experienced such behaviour, all works perfectly (apart from keywords for default search engines which get erased after each update). Maybe uninstall ubufox package, it can make a lot of mess...

If major updates will be performed only after the product goes EOL, I'm a bit disappointed...

Comment

Originally posted by srg_13 View Post
                    Finally... This is one of my biggest annoyances with Ubuntu! Part of the reasons that I usually run the developer releases is because of it having the newer version.

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post

They even announce this on kubuntu.org whenever there's a point release:

Pretty much every major package has a ppa.. you can run as bleeding-edge as you like.

Comment

my point was the point releases should be updated in main repo not in external ppa.

Comment

Working...
                      X