Tool for measuring FPS in games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool for measuring FPS in games

AFAICT, nothing like this exists for Linux. Is it at all possible to do?

Clearly the Phoronix Test Suite measures FPS of various games, but I'm not a programmer and wouldn't be able to make nor heads nor tails from it.

Basically, I'm looking for even a quick-and-dirty solution which would show the FPS of an app (game) and dump it into a file for further processing. If possible, both for Linux and OS X.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Nobody?

Is something like this doesn't exist, how hard/expensive would it be to make it?

Comment

I'm pretty sure the PTS simply uses the built in FPS counter in the games themselves.

I'm not really sure how something more general could be implemented, but I would guess it would be possible to hack something up in the drivers?

Comment

A programmer friend of mine says it needs to count framebuffer flips?

Anyway, for this to be useful at all it needs to work with nvidia/ati drivers, so I suppose hacking up drivers is out of the question.

Comment

Originally posted by dammarin View Post
          A programmer friend of mine says it needs to count framebuffer flips?

Anyway, for this to be useful at all it needs to work with nvidia/ati drivers, so I suppose hacking up drivers is out of the question.
          The big problem lies in that there is no answers for you that don't require a bit of programming effort on your part at this time.

BuGlE will compile out of box on most systems without user intervention- but it requires a smidge of understanding about how to drive it, which isn't easy because it's more a debugging tool for developers than what you're actually looking for. It will, however do precisely what you're looking for. But...as I've said, there's a bit of assembly required for the parts to make it go. And it'll work with just about any 3D drivers for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by dammarin View Post
            AFAICT, nothing like this exists for Linux. Is it at all possible to do?

Clearly the Phoronix Test Suite measures FPS of various games, but I'm not a programmer and wouldn't be able to make nor heads nor tails from it.

Basically, I'm looking for even a quick-and-dirty solution which would show the FPS of an app (game) and dump it into a file for further processing. If possible, both for Linux and OS X.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
            There is a way you can do this with games run under Wine. Just add the environment variable WINEDEBUG=+fps to the start of the command. e.g
            WINEDEBUG=+fps wine <game>.exe

You can add "&> game.log" at the end of the command to dump the output.

Comment

@Svartalf

Thanks, I'll... try to get it working. I suppose a programmer would be able to extract just the fps-measuring part from it fairly easily?

@bugmenot2

Once again, Wine proves to be a very potent tool indeed :-) Thank you, I'm sure it'll come in handy.

---

Any ideas about equivalent functionality for OS X? Is there a chance buGLe could be ported easily?

Comment

Cool! Another interesting tool I never heard about

dammarin, it looks like Xcode provides some sort of OpenGL profiler on OSX:

Comment

Yay, the profiler looks like it may do the job. Too bad I'm basically an idiot and I probably won't be able to use these tools :-(

How would I go about contracting someone to make something like this, following a design doc?

Comment

Getting started with BuGLE, setting it up to log framerates to a file, and then processing it with awk or something similar to get get the average framerate isn't that hard, and you can probably get all the help you need here in the forum.

Not sure if it fits with what you're trying to accomplish though?

Comment

Working...
                    X