No announcement yet.

Open ATI R600/700 Driver Gains Tiling Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, it's not a LCD if that's what you had in mind. Hooked up is an old IBM P260, running at 85Hz in all resolutions I use.

So VSync isn't the issue here, I think it's really some game engine setting - gonna have a look at the INIs later.

Comment

Just tested color-tiling with SuperTux2 on 1280x800. I observed no regressions and performance is boosted, albeit not as much as previously reported. Depending on the scene, I get an increase from 32 to 40 or from 32 to 60 fps.

It was really fun to see how color tiling behaves when you forget to patch mesa.

Comment

The initial patch said it was KMS only, When is UMS going to be supported?

Comment

Isn't radeon moving in the same direction as intel? KMS-only?

I consider UMS deprecated and I strongly suggest to use KMS, which works fairly well - even when using stable (vs. experimental) kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by Obscene_CNN View Post
            The initial patch said it was KMS only, When is UMS going to be supported?
            There are no plans to support it with UMS.

Comment

Any performance boosts for the R500 cards? My ATI Radeon X1950 has been horridly slow ever since Catalyst dropped suppport for my card.

Comment

aliendude, are you running with the classic Mesa HW drivers or the new Gallium3D-based ("300g") stack ? The classic HW drivers are still the default but 300g is getting close enough to becoming the default that it's probably worth giving it a try.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidAcid View Post
                  I consider UMS deprecated and I strongly suggest to use KMS, which works fairly well - even when using stable (vs. experimental) kernels.
                  Well KMS still causes my screen to go black when I boot as soon as the radeon module loads. After I login and start x blind it comes up but my screen on my laptop flickers for about 5 minutes before it solidifies. Every benchmark I run with KMS shows a performance hit.

I don't think I'm going to switch to KMS anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Obscene_CNN View Post
                    Well KMS still causes my screen to go black when I boot as soon as the radeon module loads.
                    You need to have fbcon loaded or built into your kernel in order to get a console on the fbdev interface provided by the drm.

Comment

Are these patches (tiling) in any of the git branches? I don't see them in drm-next or drm-radeon-testing

I'd like to test these along with the voltage setting patches, but I don't want to mess around with applying these patches manually I'm too lazy to modify my shiny PKGBUILD

Comment

Working...
                      X