Catalyst 10.5 For Linux Is Out: Nothing Exciting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fabioamd87 View Post
    I still get the 10.4 on the website, why?
    Copy the Link from 10.4 into the address bar and change the URL to 10.5 (the numbers at the end) and you will get it.

Comment

I'm in Germany and if I go to amd.com, I am redirected to "http://www.amd.com/de/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx". If I fill out the driver download forms on the right side, I am redirected to "http://support.amd.com/de/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.36&la ng=English". This German download page still delivers 10.4.

In order to get 10.05 I have to change the "de" in the URL to "us": "http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.36&la ng=English".

Originally posted by fabioamd87 View Post
      I still get the 10.4 on the website, why?
      As your ISP is Alice, I assume that you're also in Germany and that you have the same problem.

Comment

I'm in italy, but maybe is the same.

Comment

I'm in Germany too, so just take this link https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...x86.x86_64.run

Whenever you hear about a new version, just replace the versionnumber in the link. If the download complains about wrong referer, go to http://support.amd.com/de/gpudownloa...5&lang=English and than insert the first link into the addressbar.

Comment

Title could not be more wrong.

10.5 was such an improvement, that I actually put my ATI 5870 back into my machine. Sure, there are still quite a few visible bugs (like when Boxee starts) - but at least all my Wine games appear to run now.

Before, I would have said the driver was unusuable. Now, it's just in the "needs work" category.

Comment

I take it all back. Their drivers are still unusable.

It looks like either they're not properly controlling the fan speed, or have some other issues. After a few rounds of CS:S, the desktop locked up hard. I power cycled, and was able to recreate the lockup multiple times... each time it occurred alarmingly faster.

Then, rebooting into Windows allowed me to play indefinitely without lockups.

Something's still amiss in this driver. Swapped the 5870 back out for my old 9800GTX+, which works without lockups all the time.

Comment

Also, removing their driver is a PITA. I ran the fglrx-uninstall.sh and re-installed nvidia-current on ubuntu, and still had problems with the wrong libGL.so's hanging about.

And all of this is not to even mention that I couldn't get the ATI driver to work under the 2.6.34 kernel (which nvidia did seemlessly). (I could have patched, but still had .32 around for tests)

God I want the ATI drivers to improve so much, but I don't think it will happen until we have games and begin to get tens of thousands of mouths complaining about the problems.

Comment

Nobody told you to run the installer directly, my script adds .34 support on the fly and you can easyly remove the fglrx package. Basically it is even possible to let the driver installed and use

update-alternatives -config gl_conf
                  ldconfig
                  update-initramfs -u

to switch drivers on lucid. you may not use the nvidia run installer however too there...

Comment

Nice driver..I'm finally able to play EverQuest with wine Rc1.
                    Something I haven't been able to do since wine version 1.1.38.

Only bummer for me is no menu entry was created for the CCC,launching from a konsole works however.
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      Nobody told you to run the installer directly,
                      Yes, ATI did. Which seemed the logical solution, since the new driver hasn't made it to the Maverick repos yet.

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      my script adds .34 support on the fly and you can easyly remove the fglrx package. Basically it is even possible to let the driver installed and use

update-alternatives -config gl_conf
                      ldconfig
                      update-initramfs -u

to switch drivers on lucid. you may not use the nvidia run installer however too there...
                      I don't use Kanotix.

Comment

Working...
                      X