Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WildcatWhiz View Post
    Calling me a "noob" isn't belittling?

Fact: On Windows 7, which has full GPU-decoding of H.264 content, I experience no tearing.

Fact: On Linux, where GPU-decoding is not supported (hence all decoding of h.264 content is handled by the CPU) I do experience tearing, even with OpenGL/Vsync enabled. The HD5xxx cards don't support GPU-decoding in Linux. Plain and simple. Unless someone figures out how to tap into xvba, I'm screwed.

What doesn't make sense to you?
    All I was trying to say is that this issue has been discussed already. If you looked at the "AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux" you would have known already, rather than complaining into a thread that really has nothing to do with your problem. In fact, 10.5 actually FIXED video acceleration for me. Unfortunately you have a 5xxx series card that doesn't have XvBA. On the 2xxx-4xxx series with a little hack you get h.264 video acceleration. However even with video acceleration, it has NOTHING to do with tearing. BTW, DVDs are not encoded in h.264. Again I am not trying to belittle you, but you have been making yourself look like a so called "noob" by not doing more research before posting. If you did, but had a problem and posted it, my tone here would be dramatically different. Also, Vsync is Vsync, if you get tearing still, there is probably something else wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
      All I was trying to say is that this issue has been discussed already. If you looked at the "AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux" you would have known already, rather than complaining into a thread that really has nothing to do with your problem. In fact, 10.5 actually FIXED video acceleration for me. Unfortunately you have a 5xxx series card that doesn't have XvBA. On the 2xxx-4xxx series with a little hack you get h.264 video acceleration. However even with video acceleration, it has NOTHING to do with tearing. BTW, DVDs are not encoded in h.264. Again I am not trying to belittle you, but you have been making yourself look like a so called "noob" by not doing more research before posting. If you did, but had a problem and posted it, my tone here would be dramatically different. Also, Vsync is Vsync, if you get tearing still, there is probably something else wrong.
      I have posted a couple of times now in the "AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux" thread. Do your own research, pal.

Comment

I have posted a couple of times now in the "AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux" thread. Do your own research, pal.
        Yeah, posts #824 and #825. You obviously didn't read the other 82 pages. You problem was long since explained. There is a reason that nobody replied to your post.

Comment

Yeah, posts #824 and #825. You obviously didn't read the other 82 pages. You problem was long since explained. There is a reason that nobody replied to your post.
          Really? Do you have to get the last word in? I actually did read a vast majority of the pages. My question is valid: what is the status of xvba support with the HD5xxx (R800) series cards?

Comment

Really? Do you have to get the last word in? I actually did read a vast majority of the pages. My question is valid: what is the status of xvba support with the HD5xxx (R800) series cards?
            For the rest of you out there who interested in Catalyst 10.5, and not our flame wars, I apologize

Comment

As far as I knew, xvba isn't officially supported in fglrx at all. It's there, people can use it, but AMD haven't officially released it.

Comment

No, it isn't working, but that was said in the other thread. In fact, it may never come to the 5xxx series through UVD. Perhaps in a shader powered OpenCL version, but not in the driver unfortunately. I will say this though, ATI always has something up their sleve, for example they were the first to have OpenGL 3.3 & 4.0 in Linux. So perhaps they will surprise us. It is still a hope though. Seriously though, I don't particularly like getting into flame wars.

Comment

No, it isn't working, but that was said in the other thread. In fact, it may never come to the 5xxx series through UVD. Perhaps in a shader powered OpenCL version, but not in the driver unfortunately. I will say this though, ATI always has something up their sleve, for example they were the first to have OpenGL 3.3 & 4.0 in Linux. So perhaps they will surprise us. It is still a hope though. Seriously though, I don't particularly like getting into flame wars.
                  My apologies if we've been getting into a flame war. I'd advise you to be careful about calling people "noobs". It's very demeaning.

MAN I wish I knew that feature wasn't support in Linux before I bought the card. I feel like such a schmuck for not doing my research.

So what I've come to understand is that my tearing problem is related to the fact that I'm using a compositor, whether it be Kwin or Compiz.

(If any ATI developers out there are listening) My wishlist for improved features would be:

*Vsync that works when a compositor is enabled.
                  *GPU-accelerated video playback. I know I know, modern CPUs can do just fine. But it's nice to know that my beast of a card is being put to good use (that's what I bought it for, right ) and my CPU can happily process other tasks.

Comment

My apologies if we've been getting into a flame war. I'd advise you to be careful about calling people "noobs". It's very demeaning.

MAN I wish I knew that feature wasn't support in Linux before I bought the card. I feel like such a schmuck for not doing my research.

So what I've come to understand is that my tearing problem is related to the fact that I'm using a compositor, whether it be Kwin or Compiz.

(If any ATI developers out there are listening) My wishlist for improved features would be:

*Vsync that works when a compositor is enabled.
                    *GPU-accelerated video playback. I know I know, modern CPUs can do just fine. But it's nice to know that my beast of a card is being put to good use (that's what I bought it for, right ) and my CPU can happily process other tasks.
                    If ATI doesn't provide perhaps the Radeon driver will. Although, it has some time to go, especially on the 5xxx series.

Personally, I would get a 5xxx series card over an Nvidia anyday. Despite crappy drivers, ATI seems to be a far less evil company... Not only that but I prefer my GPU not run at 93 C...

Comment

• compiz + opengl + mplayer works without tearing. And yes, it works with compositing on.

Comment

Working...
                      X