openSUSE 11.3 Pulls In New Kernel & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marek View Post
    Novell's PR department seems to be failing at communicating their innovations: some people think that Novell developers are sitting on their asses and eating hamburgers or something.
    There is the flipside to that as well. They don't have press releases everytime they develop a patch or make an improvement. The media is just as responsible for sensationalizing every little development / bug fix that their favorite distro does.

Comment

There's only so much PR can do to overshadow Novell's shady Microsoft dealings. SuSe Linux was actually my first Linux distro. But nowadays I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Comment

I do know that OpenSuse has contributed a lot in history. Don't take me wrong, I don't hate the distro. It's been boring at least for the two or three last releases -- those release announcements were like "new gnome version, new kde version, new firefox version, new openoffice version, bug-fixes at YasT and new kernel, with which we contributed a lot". No excitement!

It's like I don't get as excited by their roadmap as with Fedora's and Ubuntu's. Or even Mandriva's.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          There's only so much PR can do to overshadow Novell's shady Microsoft dealings. SuSe Linux was actually my first Linux distro. But nowadays I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.
          Oh please, it's been how many years and none of the doomsday prophecies have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Peterson Spaceport View Post
            I do know that OpenSuse has contributed a lot in history. Don't take me wrong, I don't hate the distro. It's been boring at least for the two or three last releases -- those release announcements were like "new gnome version, new kde version, new firefox version, new openoffice version, bug-fixes at YasT and new kernel, with which we contributed a lot". No excitement!

It's like I don't get as excited by their roadmap as with Fedora's and Ubuntu's. Or even Mandriva's.
            So what got you excited on those distros that is not found in openSUSE?

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
              These idiotic "shady dealings" posts are pure fud and I am sick of them.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                So what got you excited on those distros that is not found in openSUSE?
                Ubuntu: new notification system, boot performance, app indicators, Ubuntu One, Music Store. Window indicators to come In Maverick..

Mandriva: Nepomuk shell with KDE (Goddess I wish Kubuntu had that)

Fedora: improvement with volume control, webcams, network manager (with which kubuntu helped in its kde counterpart, if I'm not mistaken), firgerprint integration..

I don't know, maybe I'm just a fan of shiny new features. It's just the feeling I get that openSUSE doesn't have a vision for the future, it just goes with the flow packaging the latest things up. And again, this happening *lately* as some pointed out all they've done in the past...

But besides being that boring it is solid, with the best KDE experience out there and it's nice to use

Comment

Ubuntu: boot performance, app indicators, Ubuntu One
                  Not sure if what indicators you are talking about but openSUSE has also worked on boot performance and they also are working with SpiderOak for their UbuntuOne alternative. Bonus being with SpiderOak is that it really is crossplatform.

Mandriva: Nepomuk shell with KDE (Goddess I wish Kubuntu had that)
                  It's in openSUSE as well.

Fedora: improvement with volume control, webcams, network manager (with which kubuntu helped in its kde counterpart, if I'm not mistaken), firgerprint integration..
                  Many of which also happened in openSUSE as well including the biometric intgration, yawn.

I don't know, maybe I'm just a fan of shiny new features. It's just the feeling I get that openSUSE doesn't have a vision for the future, it just goes with the flow packaging the latest things up. And again, this happening *lately* as some pointed out all they've done in the past...
                  Actually it seems more the case that you are unaware of many of these features have either been in openSUSE for a long time or have had them just as long. Check out openFATE and you will see that it is hardly as stagnent as you make it out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Not sure if what indicators you are talking about but openSUSE has also worked on boot performance and they also are working with SpiderOak for their UbuntuOne alternative. Bonus being with SpiderOak is that it really is crossplatform.

It's in openSUSE as well.

Many of which also happened in openSUSE as well including the biometric intgration, yawn.

Actually it seems more the case that you are unaware of many of these features have either been in openSUSE for a long time or have had them just as long. Check out openFATE and you will see that it is hardly as stagnent as you make it out to be.

https://features.opensuse.org/
                    That's probably the case, then =)

Comment

Firefox KDE integration was awesome.

Honestly Fedora and Ubuntu (non-LTS) tend to be a bit more bleeding edge than OpenSuse, so it makes sense that a lot of new upstream software comes to those distros first. But you're absolutely wrong if you think they aren't working on the same stuff and coming out with their own software. I'd say they're far more heavily involved than Ubuntu is, for example.

Comment

Working...
                      X