Valve's Linux Play May Lead More Games To Follow Suit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    like I've said before...there's only so far you can carry things on this subject without an official statement from Valve.
    Pretty much. Developers of Steam games won't even bother to look into a Linux port until there is an official statement. It'd actually be foolish to start down that path in case Valve has a change of heart or for some other reason end up not releasing a Linux client of Steam.

Comment

AHHH!! Why can't games get ported to GNU/Linux that don't use Product Activation or DRM?

Red Orchestra was a great mod for Unreal 2004 -- I was quite pleased, even if it was a Windows only version (figured I'd use Wine). But then I discovered that it used Product Activation, and my hopes for greatness were dashed...

As much as I really want to see decent games ported to GNU/Linux, I DON'T want the platform to be another showcase for worthless products you can't use without first asking permission.

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
        Phoronix did not mentioned a completed linux client, but was talking about a linux client in development that wil be delivered soon. Nothing in the article excudes this statement. Although Ryan chose his words with care and consideration for nuances.
        Indeed. I read that there MIGHT be something forthcoming but since it's not official yet, his clients aren't moving in that direction yet. I've not heard anything unofficial/official and one of my clients happens to be using Steam as a delivery system in addition to the regular installer method. I'm suspecting I'll get told shortly before they make an official move at Valve so I can package it up on the Linux side. That hasn't happened yet. This doesn't mean it won't- but it doesn't mean it will either. I just don't know right now what's going on over there at Valve on this subject.

In my experience phoronix is better informed than some of the impatient visitors here. Who make unsubstantiated statements 'without' reconizing any nuances or having considerations for the fact that phoronix has proven to be rather well informed.
        Indeed. It's why I'm trying to get people to slow down, back up, etc. here.

Comment

Originally posted by losinggeneration View Post
          Pretty much. Developers of Steam games won't even bother to look into a Linux port until there is an official statement. It'd actually be foolish to start down that path in case Valve has a change of heart or for some other reason end up not releasing a Linux client of Steam.
          Heh... There IS a reason why I've not gone and asked them about the plans yet. It's clear they've not gelled them enough for their liking; I'm thinking that I'll work at finding out (not that I could tell you lot...NDA's suck... ) sometime after Chapter 2 of Caster ships and probably when Cortex Command goes into beta (hopefully soon here...fun things are afoot and Data Realms might be party to it...).

Comment

Originally posted by TwistedLincoln View Post
            AHHH!! Why can't games get ported to GNU/Linux that don't use Product Activation or DRM?
            Because so many of them think that it's a good thing. Even some of the Indies have it in their head to do it- most don't, thankfully.

As for product activation... It's not as bad as one would think; but if you'd bought the Humble Bundle you'd get games that didn't NEED either Activation or DRM checks.

Comment

I sure hope game devs are talking directly to Valve about this, and not just using it as an excuse to brush of requests for Linux versions.

Petitions and forum threads only go so far, but developers saying that there is a need for Steam on Linux, or that they are losing sales because the lack of a port, that's something they will have to acknowledge.

Comment

[QUOTE=whizse;130492]I sure hope game devs are talking directly to Valve about this, and not just using it as an excuse to brush of requests for Linux versions. [quote]

Oh, at least ONE studio has explicitly asked for Linux support.

Petitions and forum threads only go so far, but developers saying that there is a need for Steam on Linux, or that they are losing sales because the lack of a port, that's something they will have to acknowledge.
                You'd have to have more than a few of the indie crowd asking for it before they'd listen. Now, a Source licensee...be a differing story, I'd think.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  You'd have to have more than a few of the indie crowd asking for it before they'd listen. Now, a Source licensee...be a differing story, I'd think.
                  Postal III comes to mind, but I'm not sure if they're planning on using Steam, and apparently there's some doubts as to the status of the port. :/

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                    Postal III comes to mind, but I'm not sure if they're planning on using Steam, and apparently there's some doubts as to the status of the port. :/
                    And where are these doubts then?

Comment

I haven't followed development closely, but somebody mentioned that they have removed references to the Linux version, as well as closed down the forums.

Comment

Working...
                      X