Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Pushes Skype Into Ubuntu Repository

Phoronix: Canonical Pushes Skype Into Ubuntu Repository

In an interesting move that now makes it easier to use the popular Skype VoIP program on Ubuntu Linux, Canonical's Brian Thomason has uploaded the first Skype package into the Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" repository. Using Skype on Ubuntu is now only a sudo apt-get install skype away from being used...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i hope the rest of the system remains free of that fucking proprietary spyware crap (encrypted binary, encrypted traffic, analyzes the hardware it runs on, stupid PR gag against AMD, different binaries for chinese IPs, ...). i tried to configure skype on a friend's winxp computer not to start when at system startup. the config dialog said "Saving options. This may take some minutes" for over half an hour. holy crap!

for those who are not yet into skype bashing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype#S...ublic_of_China

it's a shame the english wikipedia does not have a "criticism" section in the article.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Canonical Pushes Skype Into Ubuntu RepositoryIn an interesting move that now makes it easier to use the popular Skype VoIP program on Ubuntu Linux, Canonical's Brian Thomason has uploaded the first Skype package into the Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" repository. Using Skype on Ubuntu is now only a sudo apt-get install skype away from being used...http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODI4Mg
      I hope they then mean the apt-get for deb (as in Debian Sid) files, and not only the Ubuntu deb files.

Comment

Traditionally, Skype has not been available via distribution repositories but users have had to acquire it via their web-site.
        This is simply not true. Skype has been available for a long time in Canonical partner repository. This is hardly the same as manually downloading it from Skype site especially that - even if disabled by default - partner repository can be easily enabled in Ubuntu with just a few clicks.

Comment

Originally posted by m_gol View Post
          This is simply not true. Skype has been available for a long time in Canonical partner repository.
          Isn't that cute? But it is WRONG!

If you have a look over here you maybe notice that Skype IS new in Ubuntu Partners Repo.

Maybe you came to your conclussion because Skype was in the Medibuntu-Repos and most probably you had added it to your sources.list in the past?!? Or maybe the official Skype-Repo?

Greets. Grimsrud

Comment

I don't get the point of the wrapper that copies a config file in the home. It would be more logical to use a wrapper for preloadloading libv4l. I do that with a modified desktop file.

Comment

Originally posted by grimsrud View Post
              Maybe you came to your conclussion because Skype was in the Medibuntu-Repos and most probably you had added it to your sources.list in the past?!? Or maybe the official Skype-Repo?
              Maybe You're right, it could be Medibuntu. But that doesn't change the fact that Skype has been installable from repo for some time, not only from now on. I suspect that downloading Skype from Medibuntu has always been more convenient way to obtain it than to download it manually and no one HAD TO do it this way, what the article suggests. I don't know any single person using Ubuntu while not using Medibuntu.

Just a small remark, not that it's really important.

Comment

I don't. (:

And the inclusion of Skype is really good news. Now waitin' for the open-source Skype client to become reality.

Comment

Working...
                X