Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA's Linux Strategy Takes A Turn With Hidden Driver

Phoronix: VIA's Linux Strategy Takes A Turn With Hidden Driver

Yesterday we reported on VIA's Linux dreams not materializing with their GEM/TTM memory management support still missing even though we are half-way into 2010 -- more than two years after VIA announced its most recent open-source initiative. It turns out, however, for what VIA views as its memory management work is actually done. VIA has inconspicuously handed over some of its code to the OpenChrome developers in order to create a new driver that has been dubbed the "openvia" driver. VIA has supposedly provided the source-code to an X driver plus TTM/GEM DRM, but this new project largely remains a hidden mystery.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Damn it. It's so sad to see that VIA fails to produce good opensource drivers in time, although it seems they hired developers for this job. I think it would be good if someone with more open source and community experience could take control over the team and organize it. I think that would speedup the process. VIA, hire luc

Comment

Why is it that the number of drivers for a certain gpu maker's products increase with diminishing market share?

Comment

that's the unwritten law of obscurity through excessive distribution

Comment

OMG. But I'll first believe it when I see it.
          In other news it seems to be the usual stuff: When people cry to loud throw an obscure packet of code at them and hope people will cool off until they find out that the code is 50% useless.

I'll sit down, have a cup of chocolate milk and wait and watch whatever happens with this VIA hardware / driver situation.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Such potential, now just let's see if it materializes.

Comment

Via, hire Luc. Luc, learn to cooperate.

I too hope Luc joins the Via team and that he will cooperate with OpenChrome devs to create a unified driver. If there is progress, my next computer is probably going to be VIA, so I can try this driver out.

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
                I too hope Luc joins the Via team and that he will cooperate with OpenChrome devs to create a unified driver. If there is progress, my next computer is probably going to be VIA, so I can try this driver out.
                My divine power said that you won't

Comment

Magic 8-Ball says 'outlook unclear'.

Comment

First would by now be: VIA, talk to my boss, and subsequently pay 3-4x the wage of direct employment! This as i am officially a consultant now (although the word consultant is rather good here, not some bodyleasing or anything nasty).

Second: cooperate with whom? Are there any developers doing anything real at openchrome? This is one of the root causes of me not being friends with them, and VIA not getting anywhere with them. There is no code there, mostly just noise.

Yes, this is a bastards answer, but given the history of the fork (and the fact that they tried to copy code from unichrome which they at first did not want to accept, and therefor forked), and the mess happening now, how else can i reply?

Comment

Working...
                    X