No announcement yet.

AMD 8.36.5 Driver -- The Still no fglrx AIGLX Support Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It appears possible that some config file in ~/ was altered. At least this is a possibility because a user restored / but not /home, and the issue persists on fresh install of 8.35.5 or 8.36.5. But it's very hard to know what is wrong.

Distortions vanish when users revert to native xorg ati drivers, when that's possible.

One thing I do know, anyone who deliberately buys an ATI powered gfx card is making a bad mistake if they want to run Linux based systems long term. Or short term often.
    Last edited by gfxdrone; 19 April 2007, 02:23 PM.

Comment

that depends on whether there are open drivers for the card or not.

Comment

Looks like we found the solution: we were using the syntax recommended here, ati phoronix forums:

Section "Extensions"
        Option "Composite" "Disable"
        Option "RENDER" "Disable"
        Option "AIGLX" "Disable"
        EndSection

and that caused the issue it appears. After rolling it back to this:
        Section "Extensions"
        Option "Composite" "0"
        # Option "RENDER" "1"
        EndSection

the problem instantly vanished. Since the first method was based on advice from here, I'd suggest you take another look at this syntax before recommending it again.

I just noticed a poster also pointed out the error in your syntax, and other errors in that thread.
        Last edited by gfxdrone; 19 April 2007, 04:02 PM.

Comment

I have upgraded to the 3.36.5 driver. No weird video bugs, but amdcccle won't launch. It cannot find the file, even when I drag it into a terminal to launch it.

Comment

Originally posted by gfxdrone View Post
            Section "Extensions"
            Option "Composite" "0"
            # Option "RENDER" "1"
            EndSection

the problem instantly vanished. Since the first method was based on advice from here, I'd suggest you take another look at this syntax before recommending it again.
            It works for you? I still got the same result with video playback. I even started xine in terminal just to get BadMatch and something about Overlay (Xv).

Comment

Anyone else notice that when running XGL, none of the apps are aware that the desktop is in dual-head mode?

I don't know if this is the fault of Feisty's XGL or the new driver, but now my panel spans both monitors and apps start centered at the border between monitors (compared to centered in the monitor my mouse is currently in).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                A new driver is out! 8.36.5 features an updated Catalyst Control Center for Linux, Linux 2.6.20 support, and some bug fixes for AGP cards using PCI-E chips. No major changes outside of that.
                Hi, Michael -

From everything I've seen, you seem to be the one to ask. I posted a new question appx 2 days ago (either yesterday or the day before, I don't remember if it was before midnight or after) regarding the card I'm using; lspci id's it as a "ATI Technologies Inc RV530 [Radeon X1600]"; my Xorg log concurs:
                "(--) PCI:*(2:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc RV530 [Radeon X1600] rev 0, Mem @ 0xe0000000/28, 0xf3000000/16, I/O @ 0xa000/8
                (--) PCI: (2:0:1) ATI Technologies Inc RV530 [Radeon X1600] (Secondary) rev 0, Mem @ 0xf3010000/16"

and

"(II) fglrx(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
                (--) fglrx(0): Chipset: "Radeon X1600 Series (RV530 PRO 71C2)" (Chipset = 0x71c2)
                (--) fglrx(0): (PciSubVendor = 0x1002, PciSubDevice = 0x2342)
                (--) fglrx(0): board vendor info: original ATI graphics adapter
                (--) fglrx(0): Linear framebuffer (phys) at 0xe0000000
                (--) fglrx(0): MMIO registers at 0xf3000000
                (==) fglrx(0): ROM-BIOS at 0x000c0000"

Your post mentioned something about "AGP cards using PCI-e chips". This is a PCI-e card; I didn't realize there was more than one kind of PCI-e card - or perhaps I'm misreading your post...

In any event, if you wouldn't mind clarifying for me what the heck the card I have is (if you have a spare minute and could give the message I posted 1-2 days ago, that would be wonderful) - and point me in the right general direction as to what to try next - I would really, really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Larry (time2IPL)

Comment

Originally posted by time2IPL View Post
                  Hi, Michael -

From everything I've seen, you seem to be the one to ask. I posted a new question appx 2 days ago (either yesterday or the day before, I don't remember if it was before midnight or after) regarding the card I'm using; lspci id's it as a "ATI Technologies Inc RV530 [Radeon X1600]"; my Xorg log concurs:
                  "(--) PCI:*(2:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc RV530 [Radeon X1600] rev 0, Mem @ 0xe0000000/28, 0xf3000000/16, I/O @ 0xa000/8
                  (--) PCI: (2:0:1) ATI Technologies Inc RV530 [Radeon X1600] (Secondary) rev 0, Mem @ 0xf3010000/16"

and

"(II) fglrx(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
                  (--) fglrx(0): Chipset: "Radeon X1600 Series (RV530 PRO 71C2)" (Chipset = 0x71c2)
                  (--) fglrx(0): (PciSubVendor = 0x1002, PciSubDevice = 0x2342)
                  (--) fglrx(0): board vendor info: original ATI graphics adapter
                  (--) fglrx(0): Linear framebuffer (phys) at 0xe0000000
                  (--) fglrx(0): MMIO registers at 0xf3000000
                  (==) fglrx(0): ROM-BIOS at 0x000c0000"

Your post mentioned something about "AGP cards using PCI-e chips". This is a PCI-e card; I didn't realize there was more than one kind of PCI-e card - or perhaps I'm misreading your post...

In any event, if you wouldn't mind clarifying for me what the heck the card I have is (if you have a spare minute and could give the message I posted 1-2 days ago, that would be wonderful) - and point me in the right general direction as to what to try next - I would really, really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Larry (time2IPL)
                  You are running a PCI Express system and are in the clear of the mentioned bug fix.

Using the Rialto bridge, ATI can offer some native PCI-E GPUs with an external AGP interface. So that they could sell like a Radeon X1600 as an AGP card without using a different GPU than the PCI-E X1600. Essentially just a PCI-E -> AGP converter.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

do they work with xorg-server-1.3.0 ? i don't want to compile it in vain :]

Comment

Well after using the 8.36.5's I'm going back to the 8.35.5 drivers and await the 8.37's.
                      Those worked fine for me. The latest gives me issues with vid playback as well as increased cpu usage with no noticable improvements. ahh well.
                      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                      Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
                      X