Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVMpipe May Be A Bit Closer To Running GNOME Shell

Phoronix: LLVMpipe May Be A Bit Closer To Running GNOME Shell

Last month we looked at the performance of the Gallium3D LLVMpipe driver that can provide software acceleration for the OpenGL-Mesa state tracker (among other state trackers via this driver architecture) on any modern CPU via LLVM (the Low-Level Virtual Machine) to optimize and handle these operations much more efficiently than the traditional Mesa software rasterizer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Software acceleration? I think you mean software deceleration!

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
      Yup! It would be truly nice to see your newest flamming quad core processor dealing with such useless tasks. Hey, we got powerful processors, now we can waste their power with useless things!

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
        When hardware 3D acceleration first came onto the scene, it was called "hardware acceleration" precisely because software rendering was slow.

Comment

Virge DX anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Virge DX anyone?
            I still happen to have an old ViRGE DX card around..that card was the shiznit in its time :^)

Comment

I have one as well. It's the real hw decelerator.

Comment

The first gaphics cards I personally owned where a Diamond Viper 550 and a Monster Voodoo card in the same system specifically for Quale 2. They were supposed to work together, but it was buggy as hell

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Virge DX anyone?
                  Just bought a Virge GX 4MB the other day for my "486 ressurection" project And I actually owned a virge GX2 back in the early pentium2 days. It managed to be slower than software rendering with very similar visuals. Things have certainly changed a lot in the last 12 years. It should be interesting to run this software rasterizer on a 48-core opteron system and see how it compares to a cheap GPU.

Comment

Working...
                  X