ETQW and fglrx 10.* family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ETQW and fglrx 10.* family

I'm testing all new releases of flgrx driver. I use openSUSE 11.2 i586 and I play at ETQW. Every fglrx driver from 10.* family hangs my system after ~30 minutes of play. Then game freezes and there is no way to exit or kill it, I need to use hards reset. My gfx card is XFX HD4770, no overclocked.

With fglrx 9.12 game works fine and I didn't notice any game errors. For openSUSE 11.2 it's ok to use 9.12 driver. But openSUSE 11.3 will be released soon (< 2 months) and I'd like to get working fglrx driver.

Does Anyone have any similar problems with 10.* family drivers with ETQW?

My spec:
    uname -a
    Code:
    Linux pendrak 2.6.31.12-0.2-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-03-16 21:25:39 +0100 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    X -version
    Code:
    X.Org X Server 1.6.5
    Release Date: 2009-10-11
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    Build Operating System: openSUSE SUSE LINUX
    Current Operating System: Linux pendrak 2.6.31.12-0.2-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-03-16 21:25:39 +0100 i686
    Build Date: 02 November 2009  12:05:39PM

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
            to make sure that you have the latest version.
    lspci
    Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 4770 [RV740] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
            Subsystem: XFX Pine Group Inc. Device 2900                                                          
            Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
            Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx- 
            Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes                                                                
            Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 33                                                                    
            Region 0: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]                                      
            Region 2: Memory at fbce0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]                                   
            Region 4: I/O ports at b000 [size=256]                                                               
            Expansion ROM at fbcc0000 [disabled] [size=128K]                                                     
            Capabilities: <access denied>                                                                        
            Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci

How did you install the drivers? Through the 1-click web interface or manually?

Could you paste the content of your Xorg.0.log, xorg.conf and /etc/ati/amdpcsdb?

Which desktop environment are you using? Do you leave compositing effects enabled?

Do you play in full screen? Have you tried windowed mode with e.g. Conky running alongside to monitor memory usage?

Is there anything on your system that's supposed to happen around the 30 minutes mark? e.g. screen entering powersave?

Is ETQW the only problematic application?

Comment

I installed driver manually via installer from amd site.
      The driver is loaded, `glxinfo` shows:
      wklej.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, wklej.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

The Xorg.0.log:
      wklej.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, wklej.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

The /etc/ati/amdpcsdb file:

I use KDE 4.3.5, compositing if off (I don't use kwin effect nor compiz).
      I play in fullscreen. I have a 4GB RAM so it's shouldn't be memory related problem...

I play only on ETQW, so only this game makes troubles...

Comment

Hmmm... Are you sure it isn't a heat related issue, or a bad memory stick?

For your system RAM there is memtest.

There is this article on Phoronix about aticonfig http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ve_linux&num=3

See if it still hangs after lowering the memory frequency.

In the meantime, this http://http://www.phoronix.com/forum...ad.php?t=23213 is supposed to help with stability.

Comment

Working...
        X