Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Status of Eyefinity Support in Linux

Quote Originally Posted by fryed_1 View Post
    P2210H are the three I have. One off DP and two off the two DVI ports in the back of the 5870.

Yes Eyefinity works fine in Windows XP/7 for a display resolution of 5760x1080.

Ubuntu 10.04 was strange. When installing, it used the 2nd DVI monitor to the right. After install and reboot, it used the center DP monitor. Once I loaded the ATI 10.4 drivers, the 1st DVI and DP monitor (left and center) work fine.

xrandr detects three monitors, but always throws crtc errors when trying to work with the second (right) DVI monitor.

If I unplug a monitor (doesn't matter which) it will work fine with the two monitors that are plugged in no matter if it's DVI/DVI or DVI/DP (even tried VGA and HDMI with the above combinations and that produced the same results)

I can boot over shortly here and get some exact numbers if you want to see them (xorg.conf and xrandr output and all that) but I've spent about 15 hours so far trying to get things up and going and while the two monitors @3840x1080 definitely works great, I'm spoiled to three

for me with an HD5750 its sadly the same! 3 monitors attached (dvi, hdmi, dp) , only 2 working.

xrandr is displaying all 3 , but if i want to enable more than 2 i get crtc errors.

10.5 is out https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206..._105_linux.pdf

1.) no words about eyefinity

2.) same as with 10.3 and 10.4 (= only 2 displays at the same time possible)

@Bridgman
    Care to shed some light on this issue and Eyefinity support on linux?
    Im currently planning on three 24" LCDs and a HD5870 myself.

Quote Originally Posted by fryed_1 View Post
    Ubuntu 10.04 was strange. When installing, it used the 2nd DVI monitor to the right. After install and reboot, it used the center DP monitor. Once I loaded the ATI 10.4 drivers, the 1st DVI and DP monitor (left and center) work fine.

I noticed similar weirdness when I did my 10.04 install.

Would really be disappointed if eye6 is disabled in catalyst 10.5, it's the whole reason why I bought this computer was for 1 to 6 heads. Will definitely report back to this thread when I try to config it.

Quote Originally Posted by noobish View Post
    I noticed similar weirdness when I did my 10.04 install.

Would really be disappointed if eye6 is disabled in catalyst 10.5, it's the whole reason why I bought this computer was for 1 to 6 heads. Will definitely report back to this thread when I try to config it.
    Forgot to 'report back'. Obviously, as all of you already know, only 2 monitors are supported in fglrx. Sigh...

Eyefinity for Linux is in the pipe and we will announce when it's released.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Eyefinity for Linux is in the pipe and we will announce when it's released.
    catalyst 10-7 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by sniff View Post
    Hello,

I am confused about the current state of Eyefinity support in linux. I will say what I want to do and hopefully someone will understand better if it is possible yet.

So I have 4 DVI monitors that are currently run off nvidia cards, it works ok, could be better. I would like to buy two 5XXX cards with 2 DVI outs each and run the monitors as one big desktop using Eyefinity.

I think this will be possible in the future but I can't find out if it is now. I have seen the 24 monitor linux demo, off 4 cards. I have also noticed that the windows drivers seem to support 8 monitors off two cards.

Does anyone know what the state of play is?
    Thanks,
    Phil
    "I would like to buy two 5XXX cards with 2 DVI outs each and run the monitors as one big desktop using Eyefinity."

a single hd5850 (5 monitors) can handle this don't waste your time on 'crossfire'!

i think a 5770 can handle '4 monitors' and a 5870 can handle 6 monitors..

but you need cataylst 10-7 for more than 2 monitors! the new limit is 24 monitors! (4 pices of 5870 in crossfire)

windows7 can only handle 8 monitors.

linux-catalyst 10-7 can handle more than windows ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by sniff View Post
    Well how did they demo a flight sim on 24 monitors with 4 cards in linux? It can't have been using xinerama it would never have worked, the performance is rubbish. The windows Eyefinity states that it works with multiple cards, I should dig up the link for that....
    10-7 ;-) its a feature in the beta driver..

Quote Originally Posted by hugwijst View Post
    Well, according to Qaridarium's changelog (http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...32&postcount=1) Eyefinity will be disabled on cards in the 10.5 driver. This could indicate that it is not yet fully tested.

On the other hand, the list is from Quridarium, so the big question is if it is real.
    hey i just copy past the list ;-)

do you think i wrote my own catalyst chancelog??? ? ? ? ?

hell no!

Eyfinity is in the 10-7 driver be happy :-)