UMS graphics glitches with KDE/Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMS graphics glitches with KDE/Qt

Using xf86-video-ati (Git), kernel 2.6.34 with Radeon KMS *disabled*, and KDE 4.4.3 results in graphical glitches like this:

The website that is rendered that way by Konqueror is http://www.nongnu.org/mingw-cross-env/#see-also (scroll up and down first to trigger the bug.)

This is only an example. It's not only Konqueror, but many other apps render garbage (Kate, drop-down lists in all apps, etc.)

This does not happen when using Qt's software renderer (-graphicssystem raster). Only when using the X11 renderer (-graphicssystem native). So for example to test it, start Konqueror with:

Code:
    konqueror -graphicssystem native
    because it might be that your distro has configured Qt to default to the software renderer.

Can anyone confirm this? I had this with kernel 2.6.33 too, btw, but seeing that it's not fixed with 2.6.34, I guess no one knows about it.

Again: This is *only* with UMS. KMS does *not* have this problem.

Forgot to mention that it happens with X.Org server 1.7.7, 1.8.0 and 1.8.1. I did not test any older versions.

Comment

Yeah I remember seeing this as well when I was using Konqueror and UMS, so I can confirm this. Was one of the (many) things keeping me from using Konqueror as my main browser.

Comment

X devs don't care about KDE ?
        I guess we are entering a world where Linux=Ubuntu=Gnome ...

Ah yes I get the same glitches with UMS and KMS in unusable for me because of hang ups and general slowness...

This is a serious regression and the reason for it can be only one nobody test against kde ...

Comment

I think UMS support is being phased out. So better to focus on any KMS bugs that affect you. I don't see any 'general slowness' here with KMS and r600.

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
            This is a serious regression and the reason for it can be only one nobody test against kde ...
            Or everybody's switched to raster already.

By the way, I could reproduce that bug in native mode but I'm on a ~amd64 Gentoo so I guess my configuration is near identical to RealNC's and it doesn't tell you much.

Comment

Working...
            X