Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AROS (The Free AmigaOS) Gets With Gallium3D

Phoronix: AROS (The Free AmigaOS) Gets With Gallium3D

A $600 bounty came around a while back within the AROS (AROS Research Operating System) community to port Gallium3D and the Nouveau driver to this operating system that is a free software implementation of the AmigaOS 3.1 APIs. This bounty was successful in getting an OpenGL subsystem running on this free AmigaOS alternative via Mesa and Gallium3D and now a 2D architecture is also being implemented atop Gallium3D -- it sounds familiar to how the X.Org developers are implementing the Xorg state tracker to accelerate EXA and X-Video...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hah! This is excellent. I feel more drawn towards the official OS 4.1 rather than AROS though, even though I have tried it out in the past.

Comment

Any news about Gallium3D for C64 and Amstrad?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Any news about Gallium3D for C64 and Amstrad?
        It's not funny as you think. You just don't get it at all.

Comment

I have been using AmigaOS since I was 9 years old... until 2003, started with A600, then A1200, later even with PowerPC-Extensions and even Pegasos1+Pegasos2. Then I discovered Linux Debian. That was the time I have started using Linux more and more in favor of Amiga/MorphOS(Amiga-compatible PowerPC-OS)somewhere around 2007 I have jumped onto the AMD64 train and haven't left it again.

Though I am still interested a little in what might come. Honestly, the only AmigaNG-project I think has a future is AROS.

Mostly because it is opensource, so it runs on x86.
          The other projects need custom hardware, which is rare, or expensive.

Anyway, I hope AROS will develop as it does. Really nice too see Gallium for it. Would be nice if someone could add the same support for Radeon cards too

Comment

Wow... Gallium is so awesome that it spreads everywhere it can!

Linux, VMCrap, *BSB (can't remember... KMS for FreeBSD?), HaikuOS, HURD (take your jokes someplace else) and now some OS I never even heared about...

It is as if like the more Gallium is used, no matter where, the better it gets!

Comment

It's probably worth mentioning for the benefit of those who have followed Amiga's progress in the past but lost track over recent years that Hyperion Entertainment won their legal battle against Amiga Inc and gained full rights to OS4. Since then, it has struck a deal with A-EON to launch a new machine called the X1000, due out this year.

I can see why some people prefer the AROS camp though, mcgreg is probably right in saying that it is most likely to have a future. The AmigaOS camp is arguably in the best position it's been in for 15 years though so you never know.

I still have my A1200 with 128MB RAM running OS3.9 but I rarely find the time to tinker with it.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgreg View Post
                I have been using AmigaOS since I was 9 years old... until 2003, started with A600, then A1200, later even with PowerPC-Extensions and even Pegasos1+Pegasos2. Then I discovered Linux Debian. That was the time I have started using Linux more and more in favor of Amiga/MorphOS(Amiga-compatible PowerPC-OS)somewhere around 2007 I have jumped onto the AMD64 train and haven't left it again.
                Many people used Amiga computers years ago but they forget it too quick.
                Those days Amiga was a really good piece of hardware and... operating system is still in development. But I'm more keen to MorphOS. My PowerBook is waiting for it

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                It's probably worth mentioning for the benefit of those who have followed Amiga's progress in the past but lost track over recent years that Hyperion Entertainment won their legal battle against Amiga Inc and gained full rights to OS4. Since then, it has struck a deal with A-EON to launch a new machine called the X1000, due out this year.

I can see why some people prefer the AROS camp though, mcgreg is probably right in saying that it is most likely to have a future. The AmigaOS camp is arguably in the best position it's been in for 15 years though so you never know.

I still have my A1200 with 128MB RAM running OS3.9 but I rarely find the time to tinker with it.
                AmigaOS ain't bad, Aros is getting better but the most advanced is MorphOS. Some guys with similar configuration to yours tried MOS and they stayed with it forgetting AOS3.9

Comment

I have been a MorphOS User too , even already on PowerPC-extended Amiga1200. I was fan of it a long time. But honestly, things developed too slowly IMHO. At first it did, later it seemed like the project was dead.

Well, MorphOS was for me like a NG-AmigaOS- I hoped back then there might be a nice future for it, with good hardware, many developers, good and maybe even MorphOS-only software.
                  Now I think it's only a hobby-OS...it's fun to play with it, but to be honest, that's all you can do with it.

I would be nice too see MorphOS be OSS (and then ported to x86/amd64)

Comment

I've never used MorphOS but I also got the impression that what little life it had was starting to dwindle, especially after that scandal with the programmers. Unfortunate.

My poor old A1200 doesn't have a PPC accelerator, just a 68030. I actually left the Amiga scene in 1995 and didn't return until 2005. I was stunned by how much had happened during what had seemed from the outside to be quite a quiet time for the platform. Back in the day, I only had a beefed up A500+ but I bought the A1200 in 2005 for a bit of nostalgia. I even tried running Gentoo on it with some degree of success but then remembered that I had better things to do.

I am torn by the fact that as much as I'd love to use AmigaOS in some form or other, I couldn't see myself leaving Linux behind. There's always dual booting but in practice, you usually can't be bothered to reboot just for the sake of it and end up sticking with one.

Comment

Working...
                    X