No announcement yet.

The Cost Of Running Compiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experiences with the recent (Late 2009 / early 2010) Catalyst releases, on a HD5970, agree with Michael's tests. In fact, I often find that everything -- 2D and 3D rendering -- is much, much faster with Compiz enabled than otherwise!

For instance, with Chrome (which does 2D rendering for normal text and such), scrolling the screen without compiz provides a very noticeable tearing effect and a "long" delay of about 0.25 - 0.5 seconds before the screen refreshes to display the new content. With compiz enabled, scrolling is as smooth in Chrome on Ubuntu as it is on a Mac Pro in Safari -- and we all know Apple has OCD when it comes to smooth scrolling.

I do indeed praise ATI for finally providing an optimized composited desktop. They still have some bugs to work out in the 3d driver, but it seems fglrx isn't the bogeyman it used to be. And yeah, they need to better keep up with Xorg and kernel releases

Still notice bad tearing when dragging windows on the desktop, but only when moving the window fast.

Comment

some different tests

hi folks

have a look here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...x,2634-11.html there are some more tests for this. Seems there is some major regresion on 10.04 either X or kernel. 8.04 wipes the floor with it with the same driver.

Comment

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
        hi folks

have a look here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...x,2634-11.html there are some more tests for this. Seems there is some major regresion on 10.04 either X or kernel. 8.04 wipes the floor with it with the same driver.
        They used older mesa dri driver, adding x-swat ppa solves that issue. Lucid had a horrible memory leak with the newer mesa so they took that off but now that issue has been resolved.

Comment

Working...
        X