Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core 2, Core i7 Optimizations For GCC 4.6

Phoronix: Intel Core 2, Core i7 Optimizations For GCC 4.6

CodeSourcery, a company that works on GCC for various companies like with Texas Instruments for bringing the GNU Toolchain to new CPUs and also offers their own software development environment, has shared their intentions to provide a new set of GCC optimizations for Intel's Core 2 and Core i7 processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are they going to boycott AMD processors as Intel Compiler always did?

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
      What ?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        What ?
        Read the link I suggested.

Comment

Read the link I suggested.
          Read the Phoronix article.

Comment

Isn't the case with GCC that AMD themselves work on it, but Intel contracts it out?

Comment

Looks like I may once again run Gentoo on my ThinkPad.

Comment

Correction, seems Intel does have at least one person on GCC. Why this, then?

Comment

"They" is community. Patches for AMD won't be rejected unless it is just not good quality.

The thing with FLOSS is that 'what people do, happens. What they do not, does not happen'.

It just happens that nobody is in for making AMD optimizations, while there are people in for Intel optimizations.

Welcome to the world of customers take care for themselves. It is the opposite side of the "What gets the most users" as it is "What do I as a user want?".

Which is ultimately why Linux kicks so much ass

Comment

Well, if these optimization can be applied to AMD cpu's they will be. It's not like with Intel's own compiler where they can cripple the codepath for anything not genuine Intel. For Intel to use CodeSourcery seems smart since they have worked on GCC for a very long time and also has a member on the GCC steering commitee. My Core i7 looks forward to these optimizations

Comment

Working...
                    X