Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D Anti-Aliasing (MSAA) Is Going In

Phoronix: Gallium3D Anti-Aliasing (MSAA) Is Going In

VMware's Roland Scheidegger has announced he soon will be merging gallium-msaa to Mesa master soon, which will put this branch into the mainline Mesa code-base in time for the Mesa 7.9 release in the coming months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good news, really. The final big missing feature in all linux FOSS 3d drivers.

Comment

Can this be set per-application? I assume yes, right?

Because plain-old desktop 3D effects would, I think, be extremely glad to have this. Not very demanding at all, and aliasing tends to be very noticeable.

Comment

Why there's a link to the article with text:
        the Gallium3D drivers are faster than classic Mesa drivers (namely the ATI Radeon R300g driver)
        while IMO this benchmark only shows that Gallium3D R300g is slower than classic Mesa driver. Maybe it's already faster now but this benchmark doesn't show it and I haven't found any benchmark at Phoronix that shows Gallium3D R300g would be faster.
        Could you do a benchmark on recent R300g release?

Comment

@xeros: I just did a quick test of r300g and r300c, both built from current git master. Somehow they wont upload to pts-global, so just have a screenshot instead: http://simplest-image-hosting.net/i0...foto24-png.png

Comment

@Zhick, thanks for this benchmark!
            That's what I wanted to see :-)
            And btw. what card do you have? And what bugs do you see yet on R300g? Is it on Ubuntu with xorg-edgers or something? This screenshot looks promising as Nexuiz is what I use for driver/Mesa mostly (other is desktop effects on KDE and XV video acceleration) - now I use Nexuiz very rarely because of it's not too good performance on my RV350.

Comment

My card is a X1900XT, pretty much the fastest card that r300g works on, so your results might be slower.
              For testing bleeding edge-versions of mesa I've simply got a local copy of the mesa-source, which I compile myself. For testing I simply pretend LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=~/src/mesa/lib/gallium to anything I want to test. I find this the most comfortable way for testing bleeding-edge mesa, as it allows me to keep a stable mesa for everything else (desktop-effects etc.). My distribution is gentoo btw, but that shouldn't matter in that case.

Comment

Hurrah! The cube might actual look soon as it is intended. The edges will cease to look like as in the original UT.

@Zhick
                Thanks for the results, it's interesting. Although a bit disappointing since that 45 fps is not much.

Gallium FTW!

Comment

Working...
                X