Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine Heaven Update Coming With OpenGL Tessellation

Phoronix: Unigine Heaven Update Coming With OpenGL Tessellation

We have heard from Denis Shergin, the CEO of Unigine Corp, that an update to Unigine Heaven is imminent. Heaven is their beautiful but demanding technology demo / benchmark that launched last year with a DirectX 11.0 renderer and then in March reached version 2.0 and was released for Linux (finally) with an OpenGL renderer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

embrassing...for ATI/AMD.

they released their HD5000 series like 6 months (or such) ago...and even after that long time (not taking in the time when they knew that tesselation would be in the 5000 series) they have not been able to give tesselation to linux.

and here comes nvidia (which i hate...I'm an ATI/AMD fanboy, and I hate intel and nvidia), releases the card and the driver...something ATI/AMD PROMISED to linuxers some months ago...they should fire their whole marketing devision and get some ppl who do something what is worth paying for... i.e.: developing drivers or graphiccards...

Comment

It's made worse that the new nvidia Fermi cards completely and utterly suck. So we go with cards that can't do it, or overpriced, power consuming heat-blasters that have worse performance than the Radeon counterparts (drivers aside).

Riiight.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
        and here comes nvidia (which i hate...I'm an ATI/AMD fanboy, and I hate intel and nvidia), releases the card and the driver...something ATI/AMD PROMISED to linuxers some months ago...
        I'm sure asking will only make things worse, but exactly what do you feel "ATI/AMD PROMISED to linuxers some months ago" and how was that promise made ?

For the last three years I have been hearing about promises we allegedly made, but I don't think I have found a single case where that was actually true.
        Test signature

Comment

This is the internet, desire = promised or guaranteed, obviously

Comment

We should be thankful to ATI/AMD for doing real work to create open source drivers.
            Yet I think they should investigate why their proprietary OpenGL drivers come with (somewhat) serious bugs which aren't fixed for months. Roughly saying, by releasing buggy OpenGL drivers and good DirectX drivers they're strengthening Microsoft which is not good for AMD (not to mention Linux).

Comment

Which is better: more work done into the foss driver or add a new check mark (tessellation) for their proprietary driver?

Myself I would prefer the first option.

Comment

I don't need those news without dl link, that's just boring.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  I'm sure asking will only make things worse, but exactly what do you feel "ATI/AMD PROMISED to linuxers some months ago" and how was that promise made ?

For the last three years I have been hearing about promises we allegedly made, but I don't think I have found a single case where that was actually true.
                  they promised that when they release a card, the driver will be available on the same day for linux...AFAIK it was even worth an article on phoronix...ah found it: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...volution&num=1

AMD has not only provided same-day support for their just-announced Radeon HD 4800 "RV770" series, but they're now beginning to ship the Linux drivers on the retail CDs included with these newest graphics cards. In addition, AMD is very close to reaching feature parity between their Windows and Linux drivers.
                  ok, they didn't promised sorry...my fault, I thought they did that... shame on me

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Promise or not, I can "see" you're the first one to be emberassed, because this situation is emberassing

It's not a problem for me, the important is that the oss driver keeps moving, and this is what we should all care of.
                    Just leave AMD alone with their fglrx driver until it does a big-crunch once for all. Because that's what is going to happen between 2011-2012.

Comment

Working...
                    X