Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lightspark Flash Player Reaches Beta

Phoronix: The Lightspark Flash Player Reaches Beta

While Adobe Flash has become quite common on the Linux desktop, not everyone is happy with it either due to the browser plug-in crashing, high memory and CPU usage, or the simple fact that it's a closed-source Adobe product. There have been efforts underway by the open-source community to create an open-source Flash player by reverse-engineering the closed-source blob and looking at Adobe's released SWF specification. Two of the most popular open-source Flash players are SWFdec and Gnash, which is backed by the Free Software Foundation, but there is also another Flash player that has just reached a beta status...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Adobe Flash sucks so hard I don't even bother trying to watch YouTube videos properly nowadays when running Linux. I still hope Google announces plans to open source VP8 and to use it for YouTube tomorrow during the Google IO, otherwise I'll try this one out.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      Adobe Flash sucks so hard I don't even bother trying to watch YouTube videos properly nowadays when running Linux.
      Install the "Youtube without Flash Auto" GreaseMonkey script and GNOME-MPlayer's Mozilla plugin.
      Flash-free YouTube rocks.

Comment

Adobe Flash sucks so hard I don't even bother trying to watch YouTube videos properly nowadays when running Linux. I still hope Google announces plans to open source VP8 and to use it for YouTube tomorrow during the Google IO, otherwise I'll try this one out.
        It doesn't play back any audio at the moment, just video. So I doubt you would be better of

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
          Install the "Youtube without Flash Auto" GreaseMonkey script and GNOME-MPlayer's Mozilla plugin.
          Flash-free YouTube rocks.
          Hey thanks for the hint, will try it out later

Also YouTube had a pretty okay-ish HTML5-Option running earlier this year but it wasn't updated and doesn't work reliable anymore with the newest changes to YouTube, but who knows what they will announce tomorrow

Comment

This is really painful. Watching all these different groups trying to replicate, in varying degrees of success, something which is conceptually flawed.

We don't need flash. We don't need closed flash, we don't need open flash, we don't need ANY flash. It doesn't DO ANYTHING USEFUL.

I think it would make a lot more sense for all of those developers wasting their time and effort on replicating this flash garbage to put their effort into building REPLACEMENTS for existing web flash content -- for free. They could actually contribute to CLEANSING the world of this TRASH rather than increasing the support for it and prolonging the agony.

Flash needs to be ELIMINATED.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              This is really painful. Watching all these different groups trying to replicate, in varying degrees of success, something which is conceptually flawed.

We don't need flash. We don't need closed flash, we don't need open flash, we don't need ANY flash. It doesn't DO ANYTHING USEFUL.

I think it would make a lot more sense for all of those developers wasting their time and effort on replicating this flash garbage to put their effort into building REPLACEMENTS for existing web flash content -- for free. They could actually contribute to CLEANSING the world of this TRASH rather than increasing the support for it and prolonging the agony.

I take it you own an iphone?

Of course flash is still useful, it will probably still be useful even one html5 becomes ubiquitous. There already are alternatives - silverlight/moonlight and javafx to name two. But if a full functional free alternative flash plugin were created that would be fantastic.

Comment

Hey thanks for the hint, will try it out later

Also YouTube had a pretty okay-ish HTML5-Option running earlier this year but it wasn't updated and doesn't work reliable anymore with the newest changes to YouTube, but who knows what they will announce tomorrow
                It does work now. Well at least with Chromium and Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

Be fair now, it does a lot of useful things and there are a lot of replacements being build right now. Yeah sure, it doesn't do the the useful things very efficient but guess what? You got to row with paddles you have.

Stop complaining and start doing something productive for the OS community if it is so dear to you.

Comment

the new html5 player works great, but you dont have the option for hd videos plus at random times you will still get the old or the new flashplayer and not the html5 one.

Comment

Working...
                    X