Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
    Michael,

Could you take a little time to test the various oss-flash alternatives to Adobe, from performance point of view but also compatibility (google maps, YouTube, Deezer, etc.)?

This could be interesting to know which one can be the best to replace flash.
    There's really only (AFAIK) Lightspark and Gnash, and Lightspark is way to early to be anywhere near complete enough for such a comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
      There's really only (AFAIK) Lightspark and Gnash, and Lightspark is way to early to be anywhere near complete enough for such a comparison.
      ..as opposed to Gnash?

Comment

Well, it's at least a lot more complete.

Comment

So rather than doing your flamewars, has anybody actually tried that thing (I know, crazy idea...).

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
            Well, it's at least a lot more complete.
            From the writeup, it looks like Gnash is "mostly complete" for ActionScript 2, with no real ActionScript 3 support. LightSpark is "mostly complete" for ActionScript 3, but does not handle previous versions at all.

This would make it very difficult to compare the two for performance or compatibility, as no SWF files would even try to run under both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
              So rather than doing your flamewars, has anybody actually tried that thing (I know, crazy idea...).
              I wanted to, but the ppa has packages only for lucid

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                I thought it used the 3GP file container format, hence the *.3gp , meaning the 3G Part, designed for mobile networks...

MPEG-AVC is the h.264 container format... which is the 14 part...
                AVC is merely another name for h.264. AVC is the name used by the MPEG consortium, while h.264 is the name for the same thing by ITU-T.

The 3GP container format is an implementation of MPEG-4 Part 12.
                3GP uses AVC and AAC.

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                Does the video start playing immediately or you have to wait for the download to finish?
                GNOME-MPlayer fills the buffer first which is set to 2MB by default. You can decrease the buffer size to achieve immediate playback.

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
                  GNOME-MPlayer fills the buffer first which is set to 2MB by default. You can decrease the buffer size to achieve immediate playback.
                  Ah, that's cool. I asked because it wasn't any clear what the script does from the website.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                    Be fair now, it does a lot of useful things and there are a lot of replacements being build right now. Yeah sure, it doesn't do the the useful things very efficient but guess what? You got to row with paddles you have.

Stop complaining and start doing something productive for the OS community if it is so dear to you.
                    Name ONE useful thing that it does.
                    I dare you.
                    Fact is that it doesn't do a SINGLE USEFUL THING.
                    It is pointless bloat.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
                      the new html5 player works great, but you dont have the option for hd videos plus at random times you will still get the old or the new flashplayer and not the html5 one.
                      Contrary to the "new video" feature of html5, you DO NOT NEED html5 to embed video directly in web pages. You just need to throw your video into an <embed> tag and its done! ANY sensible browser with a video player plugin will be happy with that!

Comment

Working...
                      X