Epic Games Provides No Hope For UT3 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meklu View Post
    Whoa. Seems like icculus "denies" being contracted to do nothing more than an UT3 server port for Linux. (V!NCENT's financial theory just might be correct.)
    From his resume:
    This is probably true.. the current economic situation is affecting everyone.. UT3 was good, but just not their regular shining crown jewel.. In my own humble opinion, Epic should go back to it's roots and bring back the Unreal SP franchise.. It could even be distro'ed on Steam..there is so much unexplored territory there.. make a new Unreal game and make a Linux client for it and all is forgiven here..

Comment

Originally posted by Terracide View Post
      This is probably true.. the current economic situation is affecting everyone.. UT3 was good, but just not their regular shining crown jewel.. In my own humble opinion, Epic should go back to it's roots and bring back the Unreal SP franchise.. It could even be distro'ed on Steam..there is so much unexplored territory there.. make a new Unreal game and make a Linux client for it and all is forgiven here..
      Here's a question: if he were contracted for the client as well as the server, but failed in porting the client, would he add that to his resume?

Would you?

Also, the financial collapse happened AFTER the release of UT3, everyone was still solvent in their derivative and junk bonds trading so they had plenty of cash to pay contracts. Nice try at justifying it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
        Here's a question: if he were contracted for the client as well as the server, but failed in porting the client, would he add that to his resume?
        I'd hesitate to say he "failed" to port the client. He had that and it'd been shown to be working. What happened is likely to be close to what Vincent has implied.

Would you?
        Oh, Hell, no. Not even if it's the way Vincent surmised things to be. If I got short paid on things, they'd have gotten cut off just like it looks to have happened here and I'd have peeled it out of my resume (You'll note he HAD reference to a client in prior versions of this resume...)- just like it appears to have been done here.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          I'd hesitate to say he "failed" to port the client. He had that and it'd been shown to be working. What happened is likely to be close to what Vincent has implied.
          It was a hypothetical question, not a statement that he had failed in porting UT3. But Ryan has left game clients in bad shape before with no word as to why. See the "Medal of Honor: Allied Assault" client and its horrible sound that never left Beta.

Oh, Hell, no. Not even if it's the way Vincent surmised things to be. If I got short paid on things, they'd have gotten cut off just like it looks to have happened here and I'd have peeled it out of my resume (You'll note he HAD reference to a client in prior versions of this resume...)- just like it appears to have been done here.
          I'm not going to speculate on what really happened, however if Michael wanted to end the speculation he could always attempt to interview Ryan and publish the actual facts if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
            It was a hypothetical question, not a statement that he had failed in porting UT3. But Ryan has left game clients in bad shape before with no word as to why. See the "Medal of Honor: Allied Assault" client and its horrible sound that never left Beta.
            It could be a similar result going on- don't forget, there was going to be a client for UT3 and at some threshold there was a "middleware" problem and it stopped.

I would also stop work in the same way at the moment the money got cut off and they owed me stuff. I've done it before with device driver work I've done in the past- there's a few people that got sweetheart deals from me on hourly rates and still stiffed me thousands on what should have been tens of thousands for the work they got up to that point.

I'm not going to speculate on what really happened, however if Michael wanted to end the speculation he could always attempt to interview Ryan and publish the actual facts if possible.
            Not if he wants any chance of seeing money- or future work for that matter.

Do you think that a publisher or studio would hire you on or pay up if they caught you bad-mouthing another, even if it was true and honest and could be proven?

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              It could be a similar result going on- don't forget, there was going to be a client for UT3 and at some threshold there was a "middleware" problem and it stopped.
              But even the "middleware" was never verified just hinted to as a solved problem.

Not if he wants any chance of seeing money- or future work for that matter.

Do you think that a publisher or studio would hire you on or pay up if they caught you bad-mouthing another, even if it was true and honest and could be proven?
              Yes, but future employment really depends on what the situation was, to be honest.

Example: If the contractee were doing something illegal like certain employees of Activision locking another employee in a room and badgering the employee to tears over the actions of the employee's boss or their firing of the two infinity ward founders when they dared ask for their royalties over Modern Warfare 2, yes the whistle-blower would easily find future employment even with lawsuits pending.

(Both founders have a new contract with EA and many of the people that have left Infinity Ward over the royalty issue have joined them...)

Now if I was just bad mouthing someone for the sake of badmouthing them, probably not.

However the contractee would still have to follow the terms of the original contract with regard to payment for services rendered not to mention follow most labor laws which prevent employment discrimination based on whistle-blower status.

Comment

Isn't a resume for telling someone what you actualy did?

It's like;
                Epic: 'sup? Linux dude, port this shit for us yo.
                Ryan: Sure dawg G PIMP
                Epic: Nah wait, some 'legal' shit yo, just only do that other shit
                Ryan: Fine mothafucka
                Epic: We has been putting dat fat cash for dem Linux server 'n shit in yo account wigga
                Ryan: Thanks OG UT dude! *Now lets put that on my resume*

Comment

I laughed so much! nice one V!NCENT!

Comment

Working...
                  X