Epic Games Provides No Hope For UT3 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldkawman View Post
    I would like to know exactly what the problem was that prevented the port. Gorden said it was middleware that required a work maround. I guess he did not find a workable solution. It's all very top secret about exactly what middleware it was and why a solution was not forthcoming. Then again, if it's a microsoft issue like .NET or something, we may never see any more linux ports if the same middleware is used in future games. Developers have to make sure a linux port is even possible depending on what is used in the windoze client. Use the wrong middleware and your stuck.
    It is not .Net or anything else. The problem is that Epic was having financial problems. After UT2004 was released they poured money into the development of the "when it's done/when money runs out" UT3 and sales where more than dissapointing. Icculus wasn't paid for anything and Epic was late on paying him for previous work. Icculus was the middleware.

Icculus' part of the work was his copyright and he didn't want to transfer it to Epic before Epic payed him for what he had done for them in the past. So he waited. But Epic is in financial problems and wanting to port their next title themselves. Epic having to pay not only for a dissapointingly low-selling UT3 wasn't eager to do so in financially bad wheather, especially not when they would also have to pay for Icculus' previous work.

I got this from my own source. This is not some conspiracy theory I like to spread because I damn well know that spreading BS will not only not accomplish anything for me, but lying is only going to end up haunting myself, sooner or later. I can cite the source, because I am not bound by an NDA, but I do not want to get the person fired and dissadvantage somebody else too.

So take it or leave it alone...

Comment

So for a real gamer the only options are First Person Shooters? Sorry but I'm far away from that option.
      not only
      but there is no (GOOD)racing games for a an example.

(fo me WOO is a little game to play not long time, not multiplayer etc...)

Comment

Epic better come out with some new games then that sell well then, as the Gears Of War Marcus Fenix gravy train is soon coming to an end for them. What will they do then? Go bust? Wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by mum1989 View Post
          not only
          but there is no (GOOD)racing games for a an example.

(fo me WOO is a little game to play not long time, not multiplayer etc...)
          Heh I dislike racing games
          For me NWN is the best game that ever came to Linux. Sacred Gold and Shadowground Survivor are excellent as well.

Comment

NWN... the game might have been good, but the port was really shoddy work.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
              Heh I dislike racing games
              For me NWN is the best game that ever came to Linux. Sacred Gold and Shadowground Survivor are excellent as well.
              and me I don't like MMO, Roleplay

Shadowgrounds a good game ?? 2d view??

Comment

and me I don't like MMO, Roleplay

Shadowgrounds a good game ?? 2d view??
                Sorry but the graphics are very low in the value of a game in my opinion.
                I forgot to add Myth2 Soulblighter which is maybe the top game I've ever played and was the first Linux game I bought back in 2000

Comment

in 2000
                  in 2000 ok

in 2010 ?? ahh nothink
                  or may be unigine game...

Comment

in 2000 ok

in 2010 ?? ahh nothink
                    or may be unigine game...
                    Again I like it no for its graphics, but for its gameplay. Myth2 was 5 years before Myth3 but it is considered by far superioyr game. A good game it's like a good movie. It never loses it's value even after many years and the good movie doesn't need special effects to be masterpiece.
                    Look for example Robin Hood. The game is great but it's graphics 2D paintings. So? I'll say that the game sucks because it is not fancy 3D? Hell that's childish.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                      NWN... the game might have been good, but the port was really shoddy work.
                      Look on the bright side, thanks to Wizards of the Coast there can't be another sequel.

Comment

Working...
                      X