Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Epic Games Provides No Hope For UT3 On Linux

Hybrid View

Default Epic Games Provides No Hope For UT3 On Linux

Phoronix: Epic Games Provides No Hope For UT3 On Linux

With Valve's Steam client and Source Engine coming to Linux in the coming months, we decided to check with Epic Games to see how Unreal Tournament 3 for Linux is coming along. After all, the game was released in November of 2007 and nearly three years later the client is still missing with few words having come from Epic Games or Ryan Gordon (a.k.a. "Icculus"), the well known Linux game porter that was contracted to port UT3 to Linux and has done previous Unreal Engine projects...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODI1OA

Epic Fail.

What else to say? Epic®©™ bullshit.

do these games continue to be any fun? I mean how much have things *really* changed from ut -> ut2003/ut2004 -> ut3?

Ryan Gordon ported Aquaria recently, saying that he "hasn't been working on any other exciting games or projects" is pretty rude.

Quote Originally Posted by whizse View Post
    Ryan Gordon ported Aquaria recently, saying that he "hasn't been working on any other exciting games or projects" is pretty rude.
    This. Aquaria is damn awesome, not considering an "exciting game" is just hilarious. He apparently also is involved with the open-sourcing of the other games of the humble-indie-bundle. At least that's what Wolfire's blog suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhick View Post
    This. Aquaria is damn awesome, not considering an "exciting game" is just hilarious. He apparently also is involved with the open-sourcing of the other games of the humble-indie-bundle. At least that's what Wolfire's blog suggests.
    Yeah, Ryan is also still working on SDL, mentoring Gsoc students among other things, and that's a pretty central piece to gaming on Linux.

Default /em Shrugs

So they don't make any money off me. I don't buy Windows games anymore since i completely abandoned Windows. I have bought a number of native GNU/Linux games and will continue to buy from those game companies that support GNU/Linux. To be honest i could care less about Epic Games, i would rather support indie companies anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by whizse View Post
    That's exactly what I was about to say. He also fixed a tricky sound bug in SDL that I, among others, had been experiencing for quite some time.

very advanced Source Engine

It's a joke, Source Engine was advanced only once it was out, 3 yo Crysis engine is far more advanced in almost every aspect.