Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catalyst 10.4 fglrx support for HD 5830?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst 10.4 fglrx support for HD 5830?

I have an x86_64 computer running Fedora 12. It has a Radeon HD 4200 IGP, which was working fine with Catalyst 10.4 and my Dell 3008WFP (2560x1600). However, I wanted higher 3D performance. I looked at the release notes for Catalyst 10.4, saw that it supports the Radeon 5800 series, went to my local computer store, and bought a Sapphire Radeon HD 5830.

Now the X server claims that I don't have any supported hardware, and refuses to start. Is the Radeon HD 5830 not supported in 10.4? If not, will it be supported in 10.5?

The X server log reports:
    Code:
    (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
    (II) Module fglrx: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
    	compiled for 1.7.1, module version = 8.72.5
    	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
    (II) Loading sub module "fglrxdrm"
    (II) LoadModule: "fglrxdrm"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/linux/libfglrxdrm.so
    (II) Module fglrxdrm: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
    	compiled for 1.7.1, module version = 8.72.5
    (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Version Identifier:8.72.5
    (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Release Identifier: 8.723                     

(II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Build Date: Apr  6 2010 21:22:15
    (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01@00:00:0
    (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fglrx
    (II) Loading PCS database from /etc/ati/amdpcsdb
    (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@1:0:0) found
    (EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    lspci reports:

Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 689e (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    	Subsystem: PC Partner Limited Device e140
    	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
    	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    	Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
    	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 18
    	Region 0: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    	Region 2: Memory at fe9e0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
    	Region 4: I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
    	Expansion ROM at fe9c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    	Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
    		Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
    	Capabilities: [58] Express (v2) Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
    		DevCap:	MaxPayload 256 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <4us, L1 unlimited
    			ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
    		DevCtl:	Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
    			RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
    			MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
    		DevSta:	CorrErr+ UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr- TransPend-
    		LnkCap:	Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x16, ASPM L0s L1, Latency L0 <64ns, L1 <1us
    			ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
    		LnkCtl:	ASPM L0s L1 Enabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk+
    			ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
    		LnkSta:	Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x16, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
    		DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Not Supported, TimeoutDis-
    		DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-
    		LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 2.5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-, Selectable De-emphasis: -6dB
    			 Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range, EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-
    			 Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
    		LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB
    	Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    		Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
    	Capabilities: [100 v1] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 <?>
    	Capabilities: [150 v1] Advanced Error Reporting
    		UESta:	DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
    		UEMsk:	DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
    		UESvrt:	DLP+ SDES+ TLP- FCP+ CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF+ MalfTLP+ ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
    		CESta:	RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr+
    		CEMsk:	RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr+
    		AERCap:	First Error Pointer: 00, GenCap+ CGenEn- ChkCap+ ChkEn-
    	Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci
    	Kernel modules: fglrx

Comment

it should be supported.

Just guessing here, but did you disable the onboard IGP in your BIOS? Maybe it's causing trouble. It shouldn't, but..

Comment

I don't see any way to manually disable the IGP in the BIOS, but it looks like the BIOS is doing it automatically. With the 5830 installed, the lspci output shows only the 5830 and not the IGP.

Comment

Hmm the download page for Catalyst drivers has a specific section for the 5830.
          http://http://support.amd.com/us/kba...on-HD5830.aspx
          It states:
          ATI Catalyst? release 10.2
          No guarantee it'll work in stock Fedora 12
          If it doesn't, honestly this kind of goofs is just bad, the release notes for 10.4 mention no special case for that specific card, (still?) only the 3870 x2.

AMD, please have some better QA for your documentation...

Comment

brouhaha, did you re-run aticonfig --initial after installing the new hardware ? I think you want to include the adapters=all and dualhead options but don't have the exact command line in front of me. If you run aticonfig -h or -help it should list the syntax for aticonfig down near the end.
            Test signature

Comment

bridgman, thanks for the suggestion, but aticonfig, even with just the -h or --help options, reports that no supported graphics cards are found.

PsynoKhi0, Catalyst 10.2 won't work on Fedora 12. Catalyst 10.4 is the first release to support the X server in Fedora 12.

I'm astonished that Catalyst 10.4, released several months after the HD 5830, doesn't support it. Feels like $250 down the drain.

I tried installing Windows, and it appears that Catalyst 10.4 for Windows doesn't support it either, but Catalyst 10.2 does. What's up with that? Has support for the HD 5830 been dropped already?

I'd try to exchange it for an HD 5850, but I have no way to know that I'll have any better results with that. :-(

Comment

AFAIK the 5830 has been supported for a while. Maybe the card uses an ID we weren't told about, will try to confirm. Assume the vendor/device ID are 1002 689E ?

If you remove the card, does the same driver come up OK on your IGP ?
                Test signature

Comment

Yes, the device ID is 689e. Without the card, Catalyst 10.4 sees the IGP and it works fine. The full lspci output is in the second post in this thread. Is there any option to force the driver to try to use a card with an ID it doesn't recognize?

The card is a Sapphire Radeon HD 5830, SKU 11169-00-20R. I'm using it in an Asus M4A785TD-M EVO motherboard with a 785 chipset and a Phenom II X4 965 processor. I'm running Fedora 12 x86_64, with a 2.6.32 kernel and X.org server 1.7.6.

Thanks!
                  Eric

Comment

I returned the HD 5830 and got an HD 5850 instead. It works fine with Catalyst 10.4.

Comment

Working...
                    X